Old 10-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Kyle McDonald

Default - get rid of split media

Old 10-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Chuck Anderson

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 08:54:18AM -0400, Kyle McDonald wrote:
> I currently need to have distributions available as ISO's to burn,
> and as NFS (or HTTP) shares for network installs. In order to save
> disk space, I currently only store the ISO's, and then loop-back mount
> them to share their contents.
>
> This makes multi-ISO releases (that need to be merged) a pain. It
> forces me to copy out (unless the extra media can just be mounted
> inside or beside the first?) the contents and use twice the disk
> space. So I really prefer a single ISO.

Not if you make a symlink tree. cp -al is your friend.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Chris Lumens

> I agree with this in general. But I can't help but wonder if there are
> anaconda-using projects that are going to be limited to doing ISO based
> installs for the most part, and may have to deal with split DVDs depending
> on how they grow.

If there are anaconda-using projects that have specific needs, they need
to start speaking up. I don't hear from anyone else who uses anaconda
in their distribution, so I can only assume they don't care about any of
the decisions I'm making.

- Chris

Old 10-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Chris Lumens

> Ok just to clarify.. I know that this change will not affect CentOS
> 4.9, 5.[6-9] or 6.X.. but would only affect 7.X but will this affect
> RHEL7 if it turns out to need multi-ISO or do we want to wait til
> then?

This change will only affect F15 and any distributions derived from it
or later Fedora releases. So, no RHEL [456].x.

- Chris

Old 10-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Chris Lumens

> I think the answer there would be "It'll be too hard to bring
> split-media back. Ship less stuff in RHEL, or follow the Fedora model of
> only putting certain things on media"
>
> But that's just what I would say, and I speak for myself.

Yes, I agree. There are so many options here. There's shipping less
stuff, there's shipping different "spins" for different products,
there's using a network-based distribution method, there's using live
media.

- Chris

Old 10-28-2010, 02:15 PM
David Cantrell