Old 10-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Rich Megginson

Default Getting started with 389 DS

harry.devine@faa.gov wrote:

> I just installed 389 DS on a laptop running CentOS 5.4 to start
> getting familiar with it. I got it installed correctly (answered all
> of the questions in the setup-ds-admin.pl script, verified that the
> dirsrv and dirsrv-admin services are running), but when I run the
> 389-console, I can't log in. I'm entering the username and password
> that I used in the setup script, but I keep getting "Cannot login
> because of an incorrect User ID, incorrect password, or Directory
> problem. java.io.InterruptedIOException: HTTP response timeout".
Check the logs - what is in /var/log/dirsrv/admin-serv/error?
/var/log/dirsrv/slapd-YOURINSTANCE/errors?
/var/log/dirsrv/slapd-YOURINSTANCE/access?

You can also run the console with -D 9 -f console.log to get more
verbose output

Old 10-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Miguel Medalha

389 DS is for Red Hat DS as Fedora Linux is for Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Look at the extensive documentation for Red Hat Directory Server here:

https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/manuals/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/

Old 10-25-2010, 12:16 PM

I don't have anything in the error log
file show up when I try to log in. *I get the following when I try
to log in using the -D 9 -f switches that you mentioned:

CommManager> New CommRecord (http://localhost:9830/admin-serv/authenticate)

http://localhost:9830/[1:0]
open> Ready

http://localhost:9830/[1:0]
accept> http://localhost:9830/admin-serv/authenticate

http://localhost:9830/[1:0]
send> GET *

http://localhost:9830/[1:0]
send> /admin-serv/authenticate

http://localhost:9830/[1:0]
send> *HTTP/1.0

http://localhost:9830/[1:0]
send> Host: localhost:9830

http://localhost:9830/[1:0]
send> Connection: Keep-Alive

http://localhost:9830/[1:0]
send> User-Agent: 389-Management-Console/1.1.3

http://localhost:9830/[1:0]
send> Accept-Language: en

http://localhost:9830/[1:0]
send> Authorization: Basic *

http://localhost:9830/[1:0]
send> YWRtaW46bW9uNXNsaWNr

http://localhost:9830/[1:0]
send>

http://localhost:9830/[1:0]
send>

http://localhost:9830/[1:0]
recv> interrupted

http://localhost:9830/[1:0]
error> java.io.InterruptedIOException: HTTP response timeout

http://localhost:9830/[1:0]
close> Closed

I do have httpd running too. *Also,
I'm using "admin" as the user name, and I know that the password
is correct. *I'm using "http://localhost:9830"
as the administration URL too. *I tried using "cn=Directory Manager"
as the user ID like the tutorial I linked mentions, but got the same problem.

Thanks,

Harry

Harry Devine

Common ARTS Software Development

AJT-144

(609)485-4218

Harry.Devine@faa.gov

From:
Rich Megginson <rmeggins@redhat.com>

To:
"General discussion list for the
389 Directory server project." <389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org>

Date:
10/22/2010 04:29 PM

Re: [389-users] Getting started with
389 DS

Sent by:
389-users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org

Old 10-25-2010, 12:34 PM

Just a follow up: *I was able to
log in. *I turned off the software firewall and used "cn=Directory
Manager" as the User ID and was able to log in. *This machine
is isolated so there's low risk in having the firewall off. *When
I get further along, I can turn it back on with 9830 added as a acceptable
port I suppose.

Thanks for the help, and sorry about
the noise.

From:
Rich Megginson <rmeggins@redhat.com>

To:

Date:

Old 10-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Gerrard Geldenhuis

Hi Glad to hear you got your problem sorted, you might also consider using the FQDN of the servername rather than localhost. This will safe you some trouble when you enable SSL.

Regards

From: Rich Megginson <rmeggins@redhat.com>
To: "General discussion list for the 389 Directory server project." <389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
Date: 10/22/2010 04:29 PM
Sent by: 389-users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org

________________________________

Old 10-25-2010, 02:26 PM
Rich Megginson

harry.devine@faa.gov wrote:

> Just a follow up: I was able to log in. I turned off the software
> firewall and used "cn=Directory Manager" as the User ID and was able
> to log in. This machine is isolated so there's low risk in having the
> firewall off. When I get further along, I can turn it back on with
> 9830 added as a acceptable port I suppose.
Yes. You will need to open 389, 636, and 9830

Old 10-25-2010, 02:36 PM

Thanks. *I'll keep that in mind.
*While I have your attention, can I ask another question since I'm
progressing along? *What I ultimately want to do is migrate from Microsoft
Active Directory 2003 to 389 Directory Server. *I was reading up on
how to export to an ldif file using ldifde. *However, when I try to
import the ldif file into my test 389 DS, I get an error for each user
that says "entry <xxxx> has unknown object class "user"
" (the <xxxx> is the CN= entry for that user).

All I've found in the docs online so
far is how to sync between the DS and AD. *I don't want to sync; I
want to basically migrate. *I can't find how to do that. *Any
thoughts?

From:
Rich Megginson <rmeggins@redhat.com>

To:
"General discussion list for the
389 Directory server project." <389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org>

Cc:
389-users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org

Date:
10/25/2010 10:25 AM

harry.devine@faa.gov wrote:

> Just a follow up: *I was able to log in. *I turned off the
software

> firewall and used "cn=Directory Manager" as the User ID
and was able

> to log in. *This machine is isolated so there's low risk in having
the

> firewall off. *When I get further along, I can turn it back on
with

> 9830 added as a acceptable port I suppose.

Yes. *You will need to open 389, 636, and 9830

> Thanks for the help, and sorry about the noise.

> Harry

> Harry Devine

> Common ARTS Software Development

> AJT-144

> (609)485-4218

> Harry.Devine@faa.gov

> From: * * * * * * * *
*Rich Megginson <rmeggins@redhat.com>

> To: * * * * * * * *
*"General discussion list for the 389 Directory server
project."

> <389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org>

> Date: * * * * * * * *
*10/22/2010 04:29 PM

Old 10-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Gerrard Geldenhuis

Hi Harry,
It basically means that the object class used to define the user in the directory from which you exported the user does not exist in 389 or is not available. It might also help to post an example of the ldif file here for people to have a look at. It will make debugging your problem much easier. You could probably either import the object class or replace the objectclass with a suitably similar ojbectclass in 389 directory.

An object class is a list of attributes grouped together to define an entry. You can combine multiple object classed to have more attributes available with which to "describe" an entry.

Best Regards

From: Rich Megginson <rmeggins@redhat.com>
To: "General discussion list for the 389 Directory server project." <389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
Cc: 389-users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org
Date: 10/25/2010 10:25 AM

Old 10-25-2010, 03:01 PM

OK, here's an example of what ldifde
exported for me (I didn't put the entire entry for my user object since
there are things such as phone number and address listed, but I can post
the entire entry if requested; I would just mask that info out):

dn: CN=Devine, Harry,CN=Users,DC=commonsds,DC=faa,DC=gov

changetype: add

objectClass: top

objectClass: person

objectClass: organizationalPerson

objectClass: user

cn: Devine, Harry

sn: Devine

From:
Gerrard Geldenhuis <Gerrard.Geldenhuis@betfair.com>

To:
General discussion list for the 389
Directory server project. <389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org>

Date:
10/25/2010 10:51 AM

From: * Rich Megginson <rmeggins@redhat.com>

To: * * "General discussion list for the 389 Directory server
project." <389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org>

Cc: * * 389-users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org

Date: * 10/25/2010 10:25 AM

Subject: * * * *Re: [389-users] Getting started with

harry.devine@faa.gov wrote:

> Just a follow up: *I was able to log in. *I turned off the
software

> firewall and used "cn=Directory Manager" as the User ID
and was able

> to log in. *This machine is isolated so there's low risk in having
the

> firewall off. *When I get further along, I can turn it back on
with

> 9830 added as a acceptable port I suppose.

Yes. *You will need to open 389, 636, and 9830

> Thanks for the help, and sorry about the noise.

> Harry

> Harry Devine

> Common ARTS Software Development

> AJT-144

> (609)485-4218

> Harry.Devine@faa.gov

> From: * * * * * * * * *Rich
Megginson <rmeggins@redhat.com>

> To: * * * * * * * * *"General
discussion list for the 389 Directory server project."

> <389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org>

> Date: * * * * * * * * *10/22/2010
04:29 PM

Old 10-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Richard Megginson

----- "harry devine" <harry.devine@faa.gov> wrote:

> Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. While I have your attention, can I ask
> another question since I'm progressing along? What I ultimately want
> to do is migrate from Microsoft Active Directory 2003 to 389 Directory
> Server. I was reading up on how to export to an ldif file using
> ldifde. However, when I try to import the ldif file into my test 389
> DS, I get an error for each user that says "entry <xxxx> has unknown
> object class "user" " (the <xxxx> is the CN= entry for that user).
>
> All I've found in the docs online so far is how to sync between the DS
> and AD. I don't want to sync; I want to basically migrate. I can't
> find how to do that. Any thoughts?

The schema that AD uses is very different from the schema that 389 uses. You'll have to do some scripting to get the data in the right format, and a lot of trial and error. I don't know if there are AD to LDAP migration scripts out there.

Also, you can't just replace AD with 389 if you need to support a Windows network. AD does a lot more than just an LDAP server.