Old 10-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Gerrard Geldenhuis

Default Magic required for subtree password policy?

Hi
The admin guide says that one should use ns-newpwpolicy.pl script to set subtree password policies on the command line. Can we also set this using ldifs or is there some magic that this script perform that can't be achieved by using ldifs?

Regards

Old 10-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Rich Megginson

Gerrard Geldenhuis wrote:
> Hi
> The admin guide says that one should use ns-newpwpolicy.pl script to set subtree password policies on the command line. Can we also set this using ldifs or is there some magic that this script perform that can't be achieved by using ldifs?

Depends on what you mean by magic. If you're starting from scratch, a
clean tree, you should be able to do everything by ldif files +
ldapmodify. If you want to add to or modify an existing subtree
password policy, that may be difficult to do with just ldif files - you
may have to search first, then alter your ldif based on the search results.

The ns-newpwpolicy.pl script essentially just generates ldif and passes
that to ldapmodify.

See
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/8.2/html-single/Administration_Guide/index.html#Configuring_the_Password_Policy-Configuring_SubtreeUser_Password_Policy_Using_the_ Command_Line

Old 10-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Gerrard Geldenhuis

Thanks, the question was related to starting from scratch.

>The ns-newpwpolicy.pl script essentially just generates ldif and passes
>that to ldapmodify.
>
>See
>http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/8.2/html-single/Administration_Guide/index.html#Configuring_the_Password_Policy->Configuring_SubtreeUser_Password_Policy_Using_the _Command_Line
>> Regards

I did read that documentation, but I was unclear wether the documentation wanted you to only use the command or whether modifying using ldifs were permitted. I guess that specifying the command prevents unnecessary support calls or emails on the list because of faulty configuration.

Regards