FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Directory

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-26-2010, 07:13 PM
"Edward Z. Yang"
 
Default sasl_io_start_packet: failed - read only 3 bytes of 4

Hello all,

We're running into this error message on a full update between two
dirsrvs of version:

389 Project
389-Directory/1.2.6 B2010.238.2133

The error message is:

[26/Sep/2010:15:03:35 -0400] - sasl_io_start_packet: failed - read only 3
bytes of sasl packet length on connection 4

According to the source code:

/*
* NOTE: A better way to do this would be to read the bytes and add them to
* sp->encrypted_buffer - if offset < 4, tell caller we didn't read enough
* bytes yet - if offset >= 4, decode the length and proceed. However, it
* is highly unlikely that a request to read 4 bytes will return < 4 bytes,
* perhaps only in error conditions, in which case the ret < 0 case above
* will run
*/

Uh. Maybe our network is strange, maybe we've run into a different error
condition, but this seems quite poor...

Cheers,
Edward
--
389 users mailing list
389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/389-users
 
Old 09-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Rich Megginson
 
Default sasl_io_start_packet: failed - read only 3 bytes of 4

Edward Z. Yang wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We're running into this error message on a full update between two
> dirsrvs of version:
>
> 389 Project
> 389-Directory/1.2.6 B2010.238.2133
>
> The error message is:
>
> [26/Sep/2010:15:03:35 -0400] - sasl_io_start_packet: failed - read only 3
> bytes of sasl packet length on connection 4
>
> According to the source code:
>
> /*
> * NOTE: A better way to do this would be to read the bytes and add them to
> * sp->encrypted_buffer - if offset < 4, tell caller we didn't read enough
> * bytes yet - if offset >= 4, decode the length and proceed. However, it
> * is highly unlikely that a request to read 4 bytes will return < 4 bytes,
> * perhaps only in error conditions, in which case the ret < 0 case above
> * will run
> */
>
> Uh. Maybe our network is strange, maybe we've run into a different error
> condition, but this seems quite poor...
>
Ok. Please file a bug for this issue.
Are you using a load balancer or failover device?
> Cheers,
> Edward
> --
> 389 users mailing list
> 389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/389-users

--
389 users mailing list
389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/389-users
 
Old 09-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Rich Megginson
 
Default sasl_io_start_packet: failed - read only 3 bytes of 4

Edward Z. Yang wrote:
> Excerpts from Rich Megginson's message of Mon Sep 27 10:35:44 -0400 2010:
>
>> Does this happen in conjunction with the sasl_io error?
>>
>
> I don't see any sasl_io errors. In fact, that seems like the only
> relevant log entry that shows up.
>
>
>> If not, how often does it happen?
>>
>
> It was happening fairly regularly yesterday, but it seems to have recovered
> today. We’ll keep an eye on it.
>
>
>> Is it easily reproducible?
>>
>
> Not obviously.
>
>
>> Does it appear to be the same as https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=547503 ?
>>
>
> That's a very complicated bug, but it appears to have different character
> than ours.
>
>
>> Are you using a firewall (hardware or software)?
>>
>
> We turn off Fedora's built in Firewall.
>
> Don't sweat too much about this one: it seems intermittent and
> it involves an old version of dirsrv that we won't be using shortly.
>
But you said you could reproduce on a 1.2.6 master and 1.2.6 consumer?
> Cheers,
> Edward
>

--
389 users mailing list
389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/389-users
 
Old 09-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Rich Megginson
 
Default sasl_io_start_packet: failed - read only 3 bytes of 4

Edward Z. Yang wrote:
> Excerpts from Rich Megginson's message of Mon Sep 27 10:35:44 -0400 2010:
>
>> Does this happen in conjunction with the sasl_io error? If not, how
>> often does it happen? Is it easily reproducible?
>> Does it appear to be the same as
>> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=547503 ?
>> Are you using a firewall (hardware or software)?
>>
>
> I see it happening again (the new dirsrv -> old dirsrv parse error problem.)
> It seems to occur immediately after a full update, maybe? Any data you'd like
> me to collect?
>
Does it happen if the 1.2.6 server is the consumer? The problem I fixed
is consumer related.
> Edward
>

--
389 users mailing list
389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/389-users
 
Old 09-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Rich Megginson
 
Default sasl_io_start_packet: failed - read only 3 bytes of 4

Edward Z. Yang wrote:
> Excerpts from Rich Megginson's message of Tue Sep 28 15:31:55 -0400 2010:
>
>> Does it happen if the 1.2.6 server is the consumer? The problem I fixed
>> is consumer related.
>>
>
> Yep. (Yeah, the arrows are ambiguous.)
>
> Edward
>
Can you turn on Connection management logging to the error log?
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ#Troubleshooting
On the consumer, then reproduce the problem.
--
389 users mailing list
389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/389-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:28 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org