Old 09-20-2010, 02:35 PM
Gerrard Geldenhuis

Default Recovery Strategy

Hi

As far as I can see the documentation does not make mention
of backups other than the userdb, netscapedb and dse.ldif.

*

With regards to the certificate databases and admin server
configuration is there any specific strategies, recommendations or readmade
scripts?

*

I am looking at scenarios where we would lose a server
completely. I have considered two possible ways of recovering and would
appreciate any thoughts ,recommendations or warnings of peril.

*

Backup the following files:

tar :

/etc/dirsrv/slapd-<instance>/dse.ldif

/etc/dirsrv/slapd-<instance>/pin.txt

/etc/dirsrv/slapd-<instance>/*.db

/etc/dirsrv/admin-serv/*

/var/lib/dirsrv/slapd-ie1auth002/bak/*

*

Recovery method #1:

yum install 389-ds -y

untar all files and create directories.

use bak2db to restore databases

service dirsrv start

*

Recovery method #2:

*

Gory detail:

yum install 389-ds -y

setup-ds.pl -f settings.file -s

Copy *.db files back

enable-changelog

create netscape root suffix

enable master replica for netscape root

re-initiate from other master

register-ds-admin -f setingsfile -s -u

There would be two ways of getting data back either be
re-populating from other databases or by restoring the backed up data using
bak2db.

*

I have not yet tested these methods so there might be omissions
in the steps above.

*

Best Regards

*