Old 09-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Mark Plaksin

Default Syntax error with DNA plugin in 1.2.6

We have the DNA plugin working fine in 1.2.5. In 1.2.6 we get a syntax
error when we try to create users with uidNumber set to 'magic'. We
configure and use the DNA plugin as described here:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/8.1/admin/dna.html

If I turn on all the debugging it ends up complaining that uidNumber has
a syntax error. As if DNA failed to replace 'magic' with a number.

We've reproduced this by installing both 1.2.5 and 1.2.6 from scratch
and configuring DNA using the same LDIF. 1.2.5 works, 1.2.6 gives the
syntax error.

Do we need to do something extra in 1.2.6?

Thanks!

Old 09-17-2010, 05:59 PM
"Edward Z. Yang"

Hello Mark,

In 1.2.6 syntax checking for LDAP entries was enabled, and it
seems likely that the magic was not valid under the previous
schema, but you just started noticing this error now.

You can turn off syntax checking with nsslapd-syntaxcheck. Probably
long term the schema should be changed, but I have less knowledge
there.

Cheers,
Edward

Excerpts from Mark Plaksin's message of Fri Sep 17 12:11:57 -0400 2010:

Old 09-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Rich Megginson

Mark Plaksin wrote:
> We have the DNA plugin working fine in 1.2.5. In 1.2.6 we get a syntax
> error when we try to create users with uidNumber set to 'magic'. We
> configure and use the DNA plugin as described here:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/8.1/admin/dna.html
>
> If I turn on all the debugging it ends up complaining that uidNumber has
> a syntax error. As if DNA failed to replace 'magic' with a number.
>
> We've reproduced this by installing both 1.2.5 and 1.2.6 from scratch
> and configuring DNA using the same LDIF. 1.2.5 works, 1.2.6 gives the
> syntax error.
>
> Do we need to do something extra in 1.2.6?

Yes. 1.2.6 by default enforces attribute syntax. The uidNumber
attribute must be an integer - 'magic' is not an integer. Looks like
this is wrong in the 8.2 docs as well -
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/8.2/admin/html/dna.html -
please file a documentation bug.

In your DNA configuration entry, use dnaMagicRegen: 9999999, then
instead of 'magic' use 9999999 as the magic value when adding entries.