Old 08-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Gerrard Geldenhuis

Default Inconsistency between GUI and ldapquery regarding replication agreements

Hi
We ran into a very interesting problem...

We can't run 389-console directly from the server on which it is running because it is just to slow to use. It takes almost 5 minutes just to login. We have thus resorted to running the console locally and doing port forwarding with ssh as 389 and 636 is blocked. This worked great until now. We created aliases to localhost for the server names eg:
127.0.0.1 authserver1.example.com authserver1
ssh -f -N -L 9830:authserver1:9830 authserver-ip
ssh -f -N -L 389:authserver1:389 authserver-ip
ssh -f -N -L 636:authserver1:636 authserver-ip

This works for individual servers but we now have a shared netscaperoot. What happens is that when we open up the console and connect to the any directory server we are actually connecting to localhost and thus end up seeing the same information for each server (not completely) it confuses the GUI no end.

This email's purpose is two fold, one is for the record and hopefully someone else will read this and not make the same mistake. Two, realizing that I have asked this before any suggestions for speeding up the console. It just seems odd that there is such a fast difference between running the console locally and running it remotely via ssh.

Regards

Old 08-24-2010, 01:33 AM
Rich Megginson

Gerrard Geldenhuis wrote:
> Hi
> We ran into a very interesting problem...
>
> We can't run 389-console directly from the server on which it is running because it is just to slow to use. It takes almost 5 minutes just to login. We have thus resorted to running the console locally and doing port forwarding with ssh as 389 and 636 is blocked. This worked great until now. We created aliases to localhost for the server names eg:
> 127.0.0.1 authserver1.example.com authserver1
> ssh -f -N -L 9830:authserver1:9830 authserver-ip
> ssh -f -N -L 389:authserver1:389 authserver-ip
> ssh -f -N -L 636:authserver1:636 authserver-ip
>
> This works for individual servers but we now have a shared netscaperoot. What happens is that when we open up the console and connect to the any directory server we are actually connecting to localhost and thus end up seeing the same information for each server (not completely) it confuses the GUI no end.
>
> This email's purpose is two fold, one is for the record and hopefully someone else will read this and not make the same mistake. Two, realizing that I have asked this before any suggestions for speeding up the console. It just seems odd that there is such a fast difference between running the console locally and running it remotely via ssh.

The console was meant to be run locally, and connect to the remote
servers using http(s) and ldap(s). There seems to be a problem with
using Java/Swing over ssh. It's either very slow or doesn't work at
all. Some users have reported success with various compression schemes.

The console is very sensitive to hostnames, so if you set up local
aliases, they probably won't work, unless you set up the exact same
aliases on all of your servers. And even then, it probably won't work.