Old 08-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Gerrard Geldenhuis

Default Automatic master/consumer initialization

Hi
Is there any difference between right clicking on a replication agreement just created and selecting the Initialize Consumer or letting "nature" go its course and letting replication happen in the next "cycle".

Up until now I have created replication agreements using the GUI, but I have now started doing it via ldif files. If I don't immediately run:
dn: cn=%repl-agreement-name%,cn=replica,cn=dc3dCompany,cn=mapping tree,cn=config
changetype: modify
replace: nsds5beginreplicarefresh
nsds5beginreplicarefresh: start

It seems to start on its own anyway. Having checked the data nothing looks wrong so I thought I would just double check.

Regards

Old 08-24-2010, 01:31 AM
Rich Megginson

Gerrard Geldenhuis wrote:
> Hi
> Is there any difference between right clicking on a replication agreement just created and selecting the Initialize Consumer or letting "nature" go its course and letting replication happen in the next "cycle".
>
> Up until now I have created replication agreements using the GUI, but I have now started doing it via ldif files. If I don't immediately run:
> dn: cn=%repl-agreement-name%,cn=replica,cn=dc3dCompany,cn=mapping tree,cn=config
> changetype: modify
> replace: nsds5beginreplicarefresh
> nsds5beginreplicarefresh: start
>
> It seems to start on its own anyway. Having checked the data nothing looks wrong so I thought I would just double check.

Doing nsds5beginreplicarefresh: start does a replica init. A consumer
must be initialized before a supplier can begin updating it. If you
have already initialized a consumer from another supplier/master, you
don't need to initialize it again.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:14 AM
Gerrard Geldenhuis

Thanks, I just realized that I was seeing the same data on all servers because of the way that I accessed the console remotely, which is why I thought that it had automatically initialized itself.

Regards