Old 08-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Johan Venter

Default ns-slapd segfault during db2ldif export

Hi all,

Last night I attempted to upgrade my 389 cluster to the latest 1.2.6rc6.

The node that I started with is currently running 1.2.6rc3 and after the
yum upgrade (running on CentOS, so from epel-testing) I tried to follow
the instructions at
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Subtree_Rename#warning:_upgrade_from_389_v1.2.6_.2 8a.3F.2C_rc1_.7E_rc6.29_to_v1.2.6_rc6_or_newer.

The db2ldif export of NetscapeRoot was fine, but the export of userRoot
resulted in either 1 of 2 outcomes:
1. ns-slapd segfaulted
2. ns-slapd sat there doing nothing, using no CPU time at all

I tried multiple times with reboots in between and found that (1) only
happens the first time, then any attempt to rerun the same db2ldif
command results in (2).

I know this is not exactly a useful bug report, but I was hoping you
could point me at what I need to do to report properly - can I just run
gdb on the ns-slapd process and post the results or are there no debug
symbols in the binary from the testing packages?

Do I need to setup a VM, compile a debug build from source and see if I
can replicate?

Cheers,
Johan

Old 08-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Rich Megginson

Johan Venter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Last night I attempted to upgrade my 389 cluster to the latest 1.2.6rc6.
>
> The node that I started with is currently running 1.2.6rc3 and after the
> yum upgrade (running on CentOS, so from epel-testing) I tried to follow
> the instructions at
> http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Subtree_Rename#warning:_upgrade_from_389_v1.2.6_.2 8a.3F.2C_rc1_.7E_rc6.29_to_v1.2.6_rc6_or_newer.
>
> The db2ldif export of NetscapeRoot was fine, but the export of userRoot
> resulted in either 1 of 2 outcomes:
> 1. ns-slapd segfaulted
> 2. ns-slapd sat there doing nothing, using no CPU time at all
>
> I tried multiple times with reboots in between and found that (1) only
> happens the first time, then any attempt to rerun the same db2ldif
> command results in (2).
>
> I know this is not exactly a useful bug report, but I was hoping you
> could point me at what I need to do to report properly - can I just run
> gdb on the ns-slapd process and post the results or are there no debug
> symbols in the binary from the testing packages?

The 389-ds-base-debuginfo package contains the debug symbols.
yum install 389-ds-base-debuginfo --enablerepo=fedora-debuginfo
Then you can run gdb and get a stack trace