Old 07-13-2010, 07:52 PM
Aaron Hagopian

Default Problems with running Management and Directory Consoles on remote servers

I've had very good luck running java application over the NX protocol (http://nomachine.com/). �It actually runs over SSH so it doesn't take extra firewall ports to get going. �I have used the 389 console over nx and it works great. �I actually just use the built in freenx libraries that are in EPEL instead of the nomachine ones. �You can set the nx client for remote desktop or run single apps (very similiar to citrix).

Another suggestion for those still wanting to do pure ssh is to add the '-C' option in conjuction with '-X' for compression. �There is still latency but compression does make it a bit more�bearable.

--Aaron

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Jonathan Boulle <Jonathan.Boulle@betfair.com> wrote:

On 07/13/2010 02:54 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:

> Jonathan Boulle wrote:

>> Is there a suggested/common way to work around it?

> Not that I know of. �Does vnc help? �Suggestions are welcome.

I'll have a think about it, it's going to move down the priority list

now though. Just from my hazy memories of RH423 I'd thought it was

reasonably easily to achieve.

>> Or do people using the Console usually just run it locally?

> It is designed to be run locally. �That's why we have a standalone

> console package and a Windows console package.

Point taken. Still a bit crap that X forwarding, Swing, et al don't play

nicely together.

>> I would like to be able to have a common access point for the console (and preferably without having to install X, VNC, etc)

> What you really want is a web based application, not the java console.

Basically, yes. I've found DSGW a bit limited, but will try bash it into

shape for our needs.

Thinking out loud, maybe some kind of publishing of the Java console

through a web interface as well.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Jonathan Boulle

*It actually runs over SSH so it doesn't take extra firewall ports to
get going. *I have used the 389 console over nx and it works great. *I
actually just use the built in freenx libraries that are in EPEL
instead of the nomachine ones. *You can set the nx client for remote
desktop or run single apps (very similiar to citrix).
Thanks for that, something to look into. When you say "EPEL" do you
mean the ones in CentOS Extras? As I don't see any nx related packages
in the official EPEL.

Another suggestion for those still wanting to do pure ssh is to
add the '-C' option in conjuction with '-X' for compression. *There is
still latency but compression does make it a bit more*bearable.

Yeah, unfortunately this seems to make no difference with most of our
links.

Cheers

Old 07-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Aaron Hagopian

Thanks for that, something to look into. When you say "EPEL" do you
mean the ones in CentOS Extras? As I don't see any nx related packages
in the official EPEL.

Yes CentOS Extras, sorry about that.