Old 07-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Stefano Manfredda

Default problem with dirsrv-admin

Hello all,

In these days I have to take a look to a student who's partecipating to
a stage, since my colleague, her tutor, is in vacations; her goal is to
develop a php script to let people change some of their attributes on
our LDAP; since we use a 389-directory running on a RH5 as LDAP, she has
installed CentOS 5.5 on a virtual machine (she uses windows a s OS)
and then 389-directory. She has set up the directory, imported the
production LDAP schema and a reduced version of our production ou, the
way to get experienced with 389-directory and to start develop in php.

Until yesterday anything was OK but this morning she wasn't able to
get into 389-console, the java-based UI; I've took a look and trying to
start dirsrv-admin I've got a "service unknown" message; so I looked in
system-configure-services just to know that dirsrv-admin service wasn't
in services list as in /etc/rc.d ... it seems to be disappeared without
traces in logs (at least into logs I've checked in the few time I've
spent this morning), or better to have been deleted.

So, finally, the question is: if I tell her to re-run
setup-ds-admin, does she need to re-import the whole schema, ou and so
on before re-starting doing her job?

Thanks,

Stefano

Old 07-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Rich Megginson

Stefano Manfredda wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> In these days I have to take a look to a student who's partecipating
> to a stage, since my colleague, her tutor, is in vacations; her goal
> is to develop a php script to let people change some of their
> attributes on our LDAP; since we use a 389-directory running on a RH5
> as LDAP, she has installed CentOS 5.5 on a virtual machine (she uses
> windows a s OS) and then 389-directory. She has set up the directory,
> imported the production LDAP schema and a reduced version of our
> production ou, the way to get experienced with 389-directory and to
> start develop in php.
>
> Until yesterday anything was OK but this morning she wasn't able to
> get into 389-console, the java-based UI; I've took a look and trying
> to start dirsrv-admin I've got a "service unknown" message; so I
> looked in system-configure-services just to know that dirsrv-admin
> service wasn't in services list as in /etc/rc.d ... it seems to be
> disappeared without traces in logs (at least into logs I've checked in
> the few time I've spent this morning), or better to have been deleted.
>
> So, finally, the question is: if I tell her to re-run setup-ds-admin,
Why? That doesn't have anything to do with the dirsrv-admin service
being missing. It won't restore it either.

Do you have /usr/sbin/start-ds-admin?
> does she need to re-import the whole schema,
No.