-   -   Problems with running Management and Directory Consoles on remote servers (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-directory/398515-problems-running-management-directory-consoles-remote-servers.html)

Gerrard Geldenhuis 07-13-2010 10:21 AM

Problems with running Management and Directory Consoles on remote servers

Hi
We are experiencing problems in our test environment with running or even just logging into the Management console when you run it on a remote server.
The steps are:
ssh -X <remote server>
389-console &
wait ages for splash screen to show
login dialog box eventually appears (>2 min) but empty no controls is drawn its just the outline

Enabling ssh compression makes very little difference

We have resorted to running 389-console on a local box and the connecting to the remote server with port forwarding trickery and alias localhost.

The servers we are ssh'ing to is running on VirtualBox, if we access them from the same machine on which the Virtualbox servers is running using ssh -X then there is no problem running the console, but if a colleague tries to access the Virtualbox machines from within the same network then the trouble starts. Trying to access a server running in Australia gives the same problem just a few times worse.

Java version:java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0-1.11.b16.el5
389:

389-dsgw-1.1.4-1.el5
389-ds-console-1.2.0-5.el5
389-console-1.1.3-6.el5
389-adminutil-1.1.8-4.el5
389-admin-1.1.10-1.el5
389-admin-console-1.1.4-3.el5
389-ds-console-doc-1.2.0-5.el5
389-ds-1.1.3-6.el5
389-ds-base-1.2.5-1.el5
389-admin-console-doc-1.1.4-3.el5

Centos 5.5 fully updated.

Regards

Daniel Maher 07-13-2010 10:40 AM

On 07/13/2010 12:21 PM, Gerrard Geldenhuis wrote:
> Hi
> We are experiencing problems in our test environment with running or even just logging into the Management console when you run it on a remote server.
> The steps are:
> ssh -X<remote server>
> 389-console&
> wait ages for splash screen to show
> login dialog box eventually appears (>2 min) but empty no controls is drawn its just the outline
>
> Enabling ssh compression makes very little difference
>
> We have resorted to running 389-console on a local box and the connecting to the remote server with port forwarding trickery and alias localhost.

Hello,

We noticed exactly the same thing in our environment (also 389 1.2.5 on
CentOS 5.5). Likewise, we now ssh -X to a local machine and run the
console from there, instead of from the remote site.

We chalked it up to latency in running a remote X session from a distant
location, and since we can run the console locally, we never bothered to
do any further research. Now that we're not the only ones to have
experienced this behaviour, i wonder if there's not something more to it
than simple "slow Internet"...

Could you provide any further details about the state of the network(s)
between your local and remote sites ? VPN ?

--
Daniel Maher <dma + 389users AT witbe DOT net>

Gerrard Geldenhuis 07-13-2010 11:28 AM

Problems with running Management and Directory Consoles on remote servers

At least glad we are not going crazy... might be worth while raising as a defect if more people can confirm behaviour or if we can't get to the bottom of the issue.

>We chalked it up to latency in running a remote X session from a distant
>location, and since we can run the console locally, we never bothered to
>do any further research. Now that we're not the only ones to have
>experienced this behaviour, i wonder if there's not something more to it
>than simple "slow Internet"...
>
>Could you provide any further details about the state of the network(s)
>between your local and remote sites ? VPN ?

The problem seems to occur when going via vpn... whether this is related to the vpn or just related to increase latency is difficult to say. It can take up to two minutes for the login dialog box to be drawn when logging into a box using ssh -X <remote host> without compression via vpn. However even though the login box eventually show up we are not able to click on any of the edit boxes to enter login information. The only sign that there is life, is the flash screen redrawing itself every so often.

Regards

Daniel Maher 07-13-2010 01:08 PM

On 07/13/2010 01:28 PM, Gerrard Geldenhuis wrote:

>> We chalked it up to latency in running a remote X session from a distant
>> location, and since we can run the console locally, we never bothered to
>> do any further research. Now that we're not the only ones to have
>> experienced this behaviour, i wonder if there's not something more to it
>> than simple "slow Internet"...
>
> The problem seems to occur when going via vpn... whether this is related to the vpn or just related to increase latency is difficult to say. It can take up to two minutes for the login dialog box to be drawn when logging into a box using ssh -X<remote host> without compression via vpn. However even though the login box eventually show up we are not able to click on any of the edit boxes to enter login information. The only sign that there is life, is the flash screen redrawing itself every so often.

Yes, we were connected over a VPN as well - Cisco, in this case - with
the underlying networks being 100mbit LAN -> ADSL -> Internet ->
Datacentre -> 1000mbit LAN.

Just now, as a test, i installed and ran Wireshark (gnome) via ssh -X to
the remote site, and from the same machine that i would normally have
run 389-console from. It was relatively responsive - certainly usable,
in any case.

Could it be a java thing, or is it specific to the console tool, i wonder ?

--
Daniel Maher <dma + 389users AT witbe DOT net>

Gerrard Geldenhuis 07-13-2010 01:32 PM

Problems with running Management and Directory Consoles on remote servers

>Yes, we were connected over a VPN as well - Cisco, in this case - with
>the underlying networks being 100mbit LAN -> ADSL -> Internet ->
>Datacentre -> 1000mbit LAN.
>
>Just now, as a test, i installed and ran Wireshark (gnome) via ssh -X to
>the remote site, and from the same machine that i would normally have
>run 389-console from. It was relatively responsive - certainly usable,
>in any case.
>
>Could it be a java thing, or is it specific to the console tool, i wonder ?

It's probably both... we have much the same network setup. The other setup being 100Mb -> vpn -> ADSL -> 1000Mb network.

We will raise a bugzilla. I will send the number so you can add any additional info or just confirm another occurence of the problem.

Regards

Rich Megginson 07-13-2010 01:43 PM

Gerrard Geldenhuis wrote:
>> Yes, we were connected over a VPN as well - Cisco, in this case - with
>> the underlying networks being 100mbit LAN -> ADSL -> Internet ->
>> Datacentre -> 1000mbit LAN.
>>
>> Just now, as a test, i installed and ran Wireshark (gnome) via ssh -X to
>> the remote site, and from the same machine that i would normally have
>> run 389-console from. It was relatively responsive - certainly usable,
>> in any case.
>>
>> Could it be a java thing, or is it specific to the console tool, i wonder ?
>>

> It's probably both... we have much the same network setup. The other setup being 100Mb -> vpn -> ADSL -> 1000Mb network.
>
> We will raise a bugzilla. I will send the number so you can add any additional info or just confirm another occurence of the problem.

This has been a problem for years - I believe it is a java thing - there
are unfortunately very few standalone java apps like the console with
which to confirm - there's really nothing in the console code itself
that controls this sort of thing - this all happens at the java
awt/swing/X layer.

Jonathan Boulle 07-13-2010 01:45 PM

Problems with running Management and Directory Consoles on remote servers

Is there a suggested/common way to work around it? Or do people using the Console usually just run it locally? I would like to be able to have a common access point for the console (and preferably without having to install X, VNC, etc)

Thanks

(Apologies for top post)

Rich Megginson 07-13-2010 01:54 PM

Jonathan Boulle wrote:
> Is there a suggested/common way to work around it?
Not that I know of. Does vnc help? Suggestions are welcome.
> Or do people using the Console usually just run it locally?
It is designed to be run locally. That's why we have a standalone
console package and a Windows console package.
> I would like to be able to have a common access point for the console (and preferably without having to install X, VNC, etc)

What you really want is a web based application, not the java console.

Jonathan Boulle 07-13-2010 02:14 PM

On 07/13/2010 02:54 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:
> Jonathan Boulle wrote:
>
>> Is there a suggested/common way to work around it?
>>
> Not that I know of. Does vnc help? Suggestions are welcome.

I'll have a think about it, it's going to move down the priority list
now though. Just from my hazy memories of RH423 I'd thought it was
reasonably easily to achieve.
>> Or do people using the Console usually just run it locally?
>>
> It is designed to be run locally. That's why we have a standalone
> console package and a Windows console package.

Point taken. Still a bit crap that X forwarding, Swing, et al don't play
nicely together.
>> I would like to be able to have a common access point for the console (and preferably without having to install X, VNC, etc)
>>

> What you really want is a web based application, not the java console.

Basically, yes. I've found DSGW a bit limited, but will try bash it into
shape for our needs.

Thinking out loud, maybe some kind of publishing of the Java console
through a web interface as well.