Old 06-29-2010, 06:43 PM

Default Migrating from AD to 389 DS

We have a Windows 2003 AD domain here
at work. *We have a mix of Windows servers and Linux servers, and
we are looking to consolidate functions down a little bit. *If we
can remove the need for AD, we can have 1 Windows server and the rest will
be Linux. *I've seen from reading the 389-ds site and docs that 389-ds
and AD can share information, but what about REPLACING AD?

Years ago, our functions at work, along
with how machines were configured, lent themselves to having an AD domain.
*These days, the basic function of our domain is for authentication.
*Thats it, nothing else (no Exchange, no Group Policy, etc.). *So,
it would seem like 389-ds would suit our needs very well. *So this
leads to my question(s):

Has anyone replaced an AD domain with
a 389-ds? *How did you do it? *How hard was it to migrate the
user information from AD to 389-ds? *I know that the Windows box will
need pGina installed on it, too. *I plan on putting 2 servers into
a test environment to have 389-ds running on 1 with CentOS 5.4 and Windows
2003 on the other with pGina 1.8.8 on it to test it. *But I'd like
to hear if my long-term plan/hope is feasible and if it can be accomplished.

Thanks,

Harry

Harry Devine

Common ARTS Software Development