Old 06-01-2010, 10:46 PM
olof nord

Default two guys who bit some more than we could chew...(?)

Dear Sirs,
we need your help.

We are two guys, Olof Nord and
Thobias Nylander, studying the secondary year on upper high school at kattegattgymnasiet,
Halland, sweden. google maps
link

We
have a Local Networking class where we are supposed to set up and
maintain an LDAP based directory server.

We had the opportunity
to work with some other programs (and OS), and we chose 389 Directory server.
Now

we've been struggling with this program for several weeks, and soon we
have to report what's been done. And we have nothing to report.

We

have been following several guides, but one major guide we have been reading is red hat's official guide,
but it feels like we dont really get this straight.

whats been done:
we have been able to install and
setup the program.
we have also managed to install another program
for adding users through a GUI, called luma.

BUT

we can
start, but not logon to the 389-console, and we cant get luma to connect to our
server.
we have succeded with starting service dirsrv.

We are working on a PC with Fedora 13 installed,updated,
and the PC is in every other way working as it should. (exept no flash...)
think i't a good thing to add here that we both are very experienced
windows users and that we, in this course, have worked with Microsofts
alternative Directory server quite a while.

Our goal is to be able to log into the 389-console and to add some users. We would also like to do some more things like sharing folders and create sub-admins.

consider this as a cry for help to a stretched hand, grasping for the mainland knowing he is almost ashore.

Kindest regards,
Olof Nord and
Thobias Nylander

Old 06-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Kwan Lowe

2010/6/1 olof nord <olof_nord_@hotmail.com>:
[snip]
> we can start, but not logon to the 389-console, and we cant get luma to
> connect to our server.
>
> we have succeded with starting service dirsrv.

Are you getting any errors when you try to connect? Are you running
the console locally or from a second workstation?

What is the address that you are using to connect (localhost or an IP)?

The reason for asking is to determine if there is some underlying
network/firewall issue...

Next, please post the output of:

netstat -tlnw

and

service iptables status

The netstat command will show what ports are listening on the server.
The iptables command will show the status of the firewall. We're
trying to determine if connections are being blocked or if the server
is actually listening.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:38 PM
"Hyatt, Dan"

I am in the same position, but I am running
RHEL5.3

I am able to get the admin Gui working,
but not the management GUI working

*

But I am unable to log into the Admin Gui.
Which user is this, is this a unix user/password? Which one? Is this an
application user/password?? How do I set this.

Thank You,

Dan

*

[...]

I think i't a good thing to add here that we both are very experienced windows
users and that we, in this course, have worked with Microsofts alternative
Directory server quite a while.

Our goal is to be able to log into the 389-console and to add some users. We
would also like to do some more things like sharing folders and create
sub-admins.

consider this as a cry for help to a stretched hand, grasping for the mainland
knowing he is almost ashore.

Kindest regards,

Olof Nord and Thobias Nylander

This e-mail and its attachments may contain Forest Laboratories, Inc. proprietary information that is privileged, confidential or subject to copyright belonging to Forest Laboratories, Inc. This e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Rich Megginson

olof nord wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
> we need your help.
>
> We are two guys, Olof Nord and Thobias Nylander, studying the
> secondary year on upper high school at kattegattgymnasiet
> <http://www.halmstad.se/kattegattgymnasiet>, Halland, sweden. google
> maps link
> <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Kattegattgymn asiet,+Halmstad,+Sverige&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=54.79724,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=Katte gattgymnasiet,&hnear=Halmstad,+Sweden&t=h&z=15>
>
> We have a Local Networking class where we are supposed to set up and
> maintain an LDAP based directory server.
>
> We had the opportunity to work with some other programs (and OS), and
> we chose 389 Directory server.
> Now we've been struggling with this program for several weeks, and
> soon we have to report what's been done. And we have nothing to report.
>
> We have been following several guides, but one major guide we have
> been reading is red hat's official guide
> <http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/8.1/install/Installation_Guide-Preparing_for_a_Directory_Server_Installation.html >,
> but it feels like we dont really get this straight.
>
> whats been done:
>
> we have been able to install and setup the program.
>
> we have also managed to install another program for adding users
> through a GUI, called luma <http://luma.sourceforge.net/>.
>

> BUT
>
> we can start, but not logon to the 389-console,

Start the console with debugging - 389-console -D 9 -f console.log - and
let's take a look at the log file

> and we cant get luma to connect to our server.

Does luma have logs?

Old 06-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Rich Megginson

Hyatt, Dan wrote:

> I am in the same position, but I am running RHEL5.3
>
> I am able to get the admin Gui working, but not the management GUI working
>

> But I am unable to log into the Admin Gui. Which user is this, is this
> a unix user/password? Which one? Is this an application
> user/password?? How do I set this.

You set it when you ran setup-ds-admin.pl to set everything up. By
default, the login username is "admin" and the password is the password
for that user, that you supplied when you ran setup-ds-admin.pl

If you are having problems with 389-console, you can run it with

Old 06-10-2010, 04:10 AM
Wolf Siedler

<olof_nord_@hotmail.com> wrote:
> we can start, but not logon to the 389-console, and we cant get
> luma to connect to our server.

My recommendation is to forget about Luma temporarily and get the basic
software (389-DS and its console) going first. 389 Directory Server is a
*very* powerful tool, but like with all advanced tools, you need to plan
for time to learn it. It will be worth it.

To begin I would temporarily disable the local firewall (iptables, I
presume). During installation, a random port number was suggested. This
port may still be blocked by the firewall so that the Java console can
not connect.

Did you manage to start Linux services "dirsrv" *and* "dirsrv-admin"?

Start with running the Java console from the same machine where you
installed 389-DS, not via network.

Also, keep checking directory server logfiles for hints to why
authentication fails. If they don't show even a connection attempt, then
you will need to to eliminate that problem first.
A handy way is the tail command:
tail --lines 100 /var/log/dirsrv/slapd-<...snip...>errors
tail --lines 100 /var/log/dirsrv/slapd-<...snip...>access

During installation of 389-DS, you created a Directory Admin ID. This is
the one you need to use for logging onto the DS console, not the
Directory Manager.

I made the exprience that apparently the Java console does not like one
or more characters in my Directory Admin IP password.
My workaround is to start the console from a terminal window (everything
has to go in one line):
389-console -u {directory_admin_id} -w {directory_admin_id_password} -a
{http://ldap-host.example.com:12345} -l en

Obviously, you will need to replace the terms in curly brackets with the
ones from your installation.
>From personal experience, I strongly recommend writing down each and
every selection you made during 389-DS installation. If not, similar
sounding terms get mixed later very easily.

A very handy trick a nice colleague taught me is to do a silent
installation though a response file - this way you can carefully think
through all selections in advance. The command to install through
response file is:
/usr/sbin/setup-ds-admin.pl -s -f setup.inf

A generic setup.ing file would look like this (remember to adjust server
names, user names, passwords etc.):
===quote===
[General]
FullMachineName= ldap-server.example.com
SuiteSpotUserID= ldap
SuiteSpotGroup= ldap
AdminDomain= example.com
ConfigDirectoryAdminID= {directory_admin_id}
ConfigDirectoryAdminPwd= {directory_admin_id_password}
ConfigDirectoryLdapURL= ldap://ldap-host.example.com:389/o=NetscapeRoot

[slapd]
SlapdConfigForMC= Yes
UseExistingMC= 0
ServerPort= 389
ServerIdentifier= ldap01
Suffix= dc=example2,dc=com
RootDN= cn=Directory Manager
RootDNPwd= {secret_pw}

[admin]
Port= 20126
ServerAdminID= {directory_admin_id}
ServerAdminPwd= {directory_admin_id_password}
===unquote===

Make sure that (Linux) user and group "ldap" exist beforehand.

Oh, and if something goes wrong
/usr/sbin/remove-ds-admin.pl -f -d -y
will completely wipe out your 389-DS installation. Delete afterwards
directory /etc/dirsrv/slapd-<...snip...>.removed and you can start over.

> Our goal is to be able to log into the 389-console and to add some users

This definitely works from the console.

> We would also like to do some more things like sharing folders

Howeve, for this goal you will have to invest more time. 389-DS in iself
can not share folders - it is "just" a directory. You can, however, let
Linux use the LDAP directory for authentication when accessing folders.
In combination with Samba it is also possible to create something like a
fileserver plus domain controller for small networks.

About Luma I an unable to comment as we don't use it.

Regards,
Wolf