Old 05-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Roland Schwingel

Default Logfile buffering

Hi....

One last question before switching of
my machine...

Is it possible that the dirsrv logfiles
(access, error etc.) are written to disk with activated buffering?

When I do a tail -f on these logfiles
I see a big delay in output. When I do eg. an ldapsearch from

a client the result appears immediately
at the client, but it takes about 10 to 15 seconds until the tail -f

shows the search (or whatever I do).
This is a bit inconvenient when debugging things.

Does this happen only to me or is this generally the case? Can this be
switched off/changed?

Thanks for your help,

Roland

Old 05-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Nathan Kinder

(access, error etc.) are written to disk with activated buffering?

When I do a tail -f on these
logfiles
I see a big delay in output. When I do eg. an ldapsearch from

a client the result appears
immediately
at the client, but it takes about 10 to 15 seconds until the tail -f

shows the search (or whatever I do).
This is a bit inconvenient when debugging things.

Does this happen only to me or is this generally the case? Can this be
switched off/changed?

The access log output is buffered by default.* You can turn this off by
setting the "nsslapd-accesslog-logbuffering" attribute to "off" in the
"cn=config" entry.

The errors log is not buffered.

-NGK

Thanks for your help,