Old 05-14-2010, 05:40 PM
Chun Tat David Chu

Default Directory Re-population

Hi All,

We use 389 Directory as part of our development lab.* Every time when we do a new test, we need to repopulate our 389 directory to a clean slate (i.e. delete all existing data and re-create a base hierarchy tree).

Our current way of doing so is simply using the ldapdelete command to remove all existing data and use ldapadd to re-create the base hierarchy tree.* This approach is okay but sometime it could take up to 20 to 30 minutes to delete all existing data depending on the amount of data saved in the directory.

Is there a more efficient way to repopulate the 389 Directory?

Thanks!

David

Old 05-14-2010, 05:43 PM
David Boreham

On 5/14/2010 11:40 AM, Chun Tat David Chu wrote:

> We use 389 Directory as part of our development lab. Every time when
> we do a new test, we need to repopulate our 389 directory to a clean
> slate (i.e. delete all existing data and re-create a base hierarchy
> tree).
>
> Our current way of doing so is simply using the ldapdelete command to
> remove all existing data and use ldapadd to re-create the base
> hierarchy tree. This approach is okay but sometime it could take up
> to 20 to 30 minutes to delete all existing data depending on the
> amount of data saved in the directory.
>
> Is there a more efficient way to repopulate the 389 Directory?

Yes. Import an almost empty LDIF file. You can also copy the on-disk
database underneath a server (when it is shut down), if you know what
you're doing.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Chun Tat David Chu

Reinitializing the directory database does the trick!* I'm going to do more testing on it.

Thanks a lot!

- David

Old 06-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Chun Tat David Chu

Hi all,

I am hitting an issue with reinitializing the directory database.

Basically I have two directory servers and they're configured using multi-master replication scheme.

When I reinitialize the directory database, the directory became inaccessible.* I think it is related with my multi-master replication setup because when I use only reinitialize one LDAP, it would work just fine

My question is if multi-master replication is enabled on two LDAPs then do I need to reinitialize both LDAPs at the same time or just one LDAP?

Thanks!

- David

Old 06-18-2010, 07:58 PM
Rich Megginson

Chun Tat David Chu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am hitting an issue with reinitializing the directory database.
>
> Basically I have two directory servers and they're configured using
> multi-master replication scheme.
>
> When I reinitialize the directory database, the directory became
> inaccessible. I think it is related with my multi-master replication
> setup because when I use only reinitialize one LDAP, it would work
> just fine
>
> My question is if multi-master replication is enabled on two LDAPs
> then do I need to reinitialize both LDAPs at the same time or just one
> LDAP?
If you use one master (m1) to re-init the other master (m2), you do not
need to then use m2 to re-init m2.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:01 PM
Chun Tat David Chu

Hi Rich,

Thanks for replying.

Just making sure I'm using the right utility.* To reinitialize the directory, I use the ldif2db.pl Perl script right?

- David

Old 06-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Rich Megginson

Chun Tat David Chu wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
> Thanks for replying.
>
> Just making sure I'm using the right utility. To reinitialize the
> directory, I use the ldif2db.pl <http://ldif2db.pl> Perl script right?
Yes, if you need to restore _all_ servers from an LDIF backup. The
reason I say _all_ is that when you do a restore from a "raw" LDIF file,
this wipes out all of the replication state information and changelog
information. This means you will have to use this server to re-init
other masters and consumers - (I mean re-init in the sense of
Initializing Consumers -
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/8.1/admin/Managing_Replication-Initializing_Consumers.html)

You can use db2ldif.pl -r to create an LDIF file suitable for offline
replica init

Old 06-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Chun Tat David Chu

Thanks Rich, I'll give that a try.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Chun Tat David Chu

Another question about directory re-population.

If I want to create a generic LDIF backup for a bunch of test directory servers, in the exported LDIF file, should I remove the following attributes? or it doesn't really matter?

nsUniqueId: 795dca00-5fa011df-8de2866b-a65dc74a
creatorsName:
modifiersName: cn=directory manager
createTimestamp: 20100514213428Z
modifyTimestamp: 20100514213430Z

My LDIF backup will be imported back to the LDAP using ldif2db.pl.

- David

Old 06-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Rich Megginson

Chun Tat David Chu wrote:
> Another question about directory re-population.
>
> If I want to create a generic LDIF backup for a bunch of test
> directory servers, in the exported LDIF file, should I remove the
> following attributes? or it doesn't really matter?
> nsUniqueId: 795dca00-5fa011df-8de2866b-a65dc74a
> creatorsName:
> modifiersName: cn=directory manager
> createTimestamp: 20100514213428Z
> modifyTimestamp: 20100514213430Z
I don't think it matters. I suppose you might want to keep
createTimestamp and modifyTimestamp just for your own information.