Old 04-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Mister Anonyme

Default Size limit

Hi,

The default value of response size limit in directory server is 2000 entries.

I couldn't find any documentation that explains clearly what could cause any issues if I set it to unlimited (-1).* I have some clients that would want to get a bulk response according to some search patterns.* Actually, we have around 5000 objects that could be returned to clients.

Is by putting a size limit to -1 would cause an impact to the server performance ?

Why does the size limit exists? Because of small clients and networks with high latency/low bandwith ?

What is the difference between getting a bulk response in one shot and in paged mode;* I mean does the paged mode really relieve the load on the server side, ie: sending 1000 responses in 5 pages instead of giving 5000 responses in one shot ?

Thank you in advance!

Stay in touch. Get Messenger on your phone now.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Rich Megginson

Mister Anonyme wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The default value of response size limit in directory server is 2000
> entries.
>
> I couldn't find any documentation that explains clearly what could
> cause any issues if I set it to unlimited (-1). I have some clients
> that would want to get a bulk response according to some search
> patterns. Actually, we have around 5000 objects that could be
> returned to clients.
>
> Is by putting a size limit to -1 would cause an impact to the server
> performance ?
It depends. How many entries in your database? How many clients? Are
clients able to execute arbitrary searches? Are you worried about
clients possibly doing a DoS attack?

> Why does the size limit exists? Because of small clients and networks
> with high latency/low bandwith ?
Yes, and to curb DoS attacks.

> What is the difference between getting a bulk response in one shot and
> in paged mode; I mean does the paged mode really relieve the load on
> the server side, ie: sending 1000 responses in 5 pages instead of
> giving 5000 responses in one shot ?
Most clients can handle 5000 responses in one shot, and deal with
sorting and paging if needed to display to the clients (e.g. in a GUI
application). However, if you're talking about several hundred
thousand, you probably want the server to do the sorting and paging for you.