Old 01-29-2010, 06:50 AM
Majian

Default I have a question about the 389 ds

Hi ,all :

*I am a newbie to here and I also install the 389 ds in* our company for managering all users account* and passwd .

Today , The boss asked* me if the ds could set the users vnc screen geometry in the config file .

Because the user's computer screen is not the same and have different geometries.

If it could , then we were happy that can solve the user's vnc problem .

Then , I try to search it via Googling , but have not search the useful information about it yet .

I know we can use the ds to set the uid or home directory and so on ,
can the 389 ds do it ?Or maybe add some atrributes ?

Could someone give me some suggestions about it ?

Thanks in advance ~

Old 08-24-2010, 04:21 AM
raj sourabh

You can edit the .Xresources file in users home directory. This file will
have geomatry information as well.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:32 AM
Gordon Messmer

On 08/23/2010 06:46 PM, sync wrote:

> Today , The boss asked me if the ds could set the users vnc screen
> geometry in the config file .

The VNC servers that I'm aware of use the same geometry used for the
local display. I'm not aware of any that offer any kind of LDAP
integration. I don't think you'll get anywhere with this, but you'd
probably get more help if you told us what VNC server you're using.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:20 AM
"Whitney, Matthew"

I don't believe there is a VNC client out there that will get its settings from an LDAP server. You could, however, write a wrapper script that would do a lookup on the user's id and return the attributes you're looking for, then pass them to the VNC command.

Hope this helps,
Matt

Sent from my Android Phone

Old 08-24-2010, 05:24 AM
sync

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Gordon Messmer <yinyang@eburg.com> wrote:

On 08/23/2010 06:46 PM, sync wrote:

> Today , The boss asked *me if the ds could set the users vnc screen

> geometry in the config file .

The VNC servers that I'm aware of use the same geometry used for the

local display. *I'm not aware of any that offer any kind of LDAP

integration. *I don't think you'll get anywhere with this, but you'd

probably get more help if you told us what VNC server you're using.

Thanks .
By the way , I used the vnc server which is called VNC-E4_4_3-x64_linux.rpm (Enterprise Edition) by realvnc Company .

Old 08-24-2010, 05:32 AM
sync

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Whitney, Matthew <mwhitney@pima.edu> wrote:

I don't believe there is a VNC client out there that will get its settings from an LDAP server. You could, however, write a wrapper script that would do a lookup on the user's id and return the attributes you're looking for, then pass them to the VNC command.

Hope this helps,
Matt

Thanks.

Do you mean that it is possbile that the* vnc geometry* attribute* integrated* in that LDAP Server ?
But I googling for a long time and* have nothing useful information about it ..

Sent from my Android Phone

Old 08-24-2010, 05:32 AM
sync

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Whitney, Matthew <mwhitney@pima.edu> wrote:

> I don't believe there is a VNC client out there that will get its
> settings from an LDAP server. You could, however, write a wrapper script
> that would do a lookup on the user's id and return the attributes you're
> looking for, then pass them to the VNC command.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Matt

Thanks.

Do you mean that it is possbile that the vnc geometry attribute
integrated in that LDAP Server ?
But I googling for a long time and have nothing useful information about it
..

Old 08-24-2010, 05:47 AM
sync

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 12:21 PM, raj sourabh <rajsourabh1@gmail.com> wrote:

> You can edit the .Xresources file in users home directory. This file will
> have geomatry information as well.
>
> Thanks for your suggestion . That sound nice , but if I have one hundred
accounts ,
may I edit that file in any account home directory one by one ?

Oh ~ That may be waste of much time . Isn't it ?