Old 08-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Ross Walker

Default I have a question about the 389 ds

On Aug 24, 2010, at 1:32 AM, sync <jiannma@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Whitney, Matthew <mwhitney@pima.edu> wrote:

I don't believe there is a VNC client out there that will get its settings from an LDAP server. You could, however, write a wrapper script that would do a lookup on the user's id and return the attributes you're looking for, then pass them to the VNC command.

Hope this helps,
Matt

Thanks.

Do you mean that it is possbile that the* vnc geometry* attribute* integrated* in that LDAP Server ?
But I googling for a long time and* have nothing useful information about it ..

What he means is create a custom attribute in DS to hold geometry then write a shell script that does an ldapsearch to get that attribute for the logged in user and either set that as an environment variable that VNC uses upon login or use the shell script to launch VNC with that geometry if it doesn't support environment variables for setting geometry.
-Ross

Old 08-24-2010, 01:18 PM
"Whitney, Matthew"

You are correct, that is exactly what I was thinking. You can store pretty much any information in LDAP. Heck, just look at how Microsoft uses AD for almost everything.

Thanks,
Matt

Sent from my Android Phone

Old 08-25-2010, 07:47 AM
sync

[...]

Thanks .*

But I have a problem on how to create* a custom attribute in DS to hold geometry .

Could someone can give me some suggestions* or* where is the** manual* about* how to create * new* attribute ?

By the way , I used* the* 389 Directory Server ....

Thanks in advance .....

-Ross

Old 08-25-2010, 07:47 AM
sync

Old 08-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 1:17 PM, sync <jiannma@gmail.com> wrote:

> But I have a problem on how to create* a custom attribute in DS to hold
> geometry .
>
> Could someone can give me some suggestions* or* where is the** manual
> about* how to create * new* attribute ?

+1

I too am a little bit confused about how to create the equivalent of 2
things in NDS

1. Directory map
2. Application attribute

Appreciate any answers...

I had a tough time playing around with openLDAP with source on fedora 7 or so.

Regards,

Rajagopal

Old 08-25-2010, 08:54 PM
"Whitney, Matthew"

A good place to start would probably be here: http://www.ldapsource.com/content/ldap_schema.html.

- Matt

Old 08-26-2010, 10:42 AM
sync

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 4:54 AM, Whitney, Matthew <mwhitney@pima.edu> wrote:

A good place to start would probably be here: http://www.ldapsource.com/content/ldap_schema.html.

*

Matt

Thanks .
At last* I refer to that website and the problem is solved ...*

*