Old 02-16-2011, 01:55 PM
James Bensley

Default Authentication Problems

On 16 February 2011 14:50, Jeff <jlar310@gmail.com> wrote:
> What does /etc/nsswitch.conf look like? Anything other than "files"
> for passwd, shadow and group? If that's OK, I would start comparing
> files in /etc/pam.d to a known-good system.

Thanks for the info, I will look into the pam.d stuff

cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
....SNIP.....
passwd: files
shadow: files
group: files

--
James.

http://www.jamesbensley.co.cc/
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; Those who understand
Vigesimal, and J others...?

Old 02-16-2011, 02:21 PM
James Bensley

Ok, everything is fixed now. I spoke with the VPS providers;

The jailed shell was removed from the webdev user (and the webmaster
user?) and they reset the password. I logged into ssh as the webdev
user to change the password and they told me off for trying and said I
must do it through WHM/cPanel. I suspect there is some crazy
arrangement here I don't know about and there is some link between
those two accounts. When I tried (apparently wrongly) to change the
webdev users password I still got "passwd: Authentication token
manipulation error" but they said to leave it alone?!

I'm just glad its over, thanks everyone for your support

Old 02-16-2011, 04:17 PM
John R Pierce

On 02/16/11 6:27 AM, James Bensley wrote:
> However he always uses the webdev account which lastlog shows as never
> logged in, so when accessing the VPS as the webdev user account are we
> somehow actually accessing the VPS as webmaster? Is it possible the
> VPS providers performed some crazy voodoo magic here?

does webdev and webmaster have the same UID in /etc/passwd ?

Old 02-18-2011, 07:47 AM
James Bensley

No

--James. (This email was sent from a mobile device)