Old 10-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Dave

Default Migrating Netscape DS to FDS

Hi, I have an old Netscape Directory Server version 4.1 (circa 2001)
that I need to migrate to Fedora Directory Server, but I am confused as
to the proper migration path.

I've been reading the Red Hat DS install guides at
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ (as there doesn't
appear to be as a comprehensive guide for Fedora DS.

The Redhat DS 8.0 guide says that migrating Netscape DS 4.x is not
supported (only version 6 and above), so I read the Red Hat DS 6.0
install guide and it says that Netscape DS 4.x is indeed supported.

So am I right to presume that a step-upgrade will be required, from my
current version 4.x to 6.x and then to the current version 8.0?

Also, what version of the Fedora-DS is equivalent to Red Hat DS 6.0?

Thanks -Dave

p.s. If somebody can tell me how to search this list's archives that
would be much appreciated!

Old 10-03-2008, 02:55 PM
"Marcelo N. Halpern"

I think you will find the most trouble in o=NetscapeRoot. More than likely you will have to recreate
acls, roles, replication agreements, etc. by hand. I'm sure the data in o=UserRoot will not be a
big deal. You just have to keep in mind that schemas may have varied slightly.

Certificates and keys will have to be imported/exported to the new server also. In all, i think you
can go from Netscape 4.1 -> FDS 1.1.3 manually if you are well prepared.

You can always bring up a cloned instance of Netscape 4.1 and try the step upgrade.

solarflow99 wrote:

[...]

Marcelo Nicolás Halpern
Systems Administrator
Accoona Corporation
T: +1-201-377-3424 B: +1-201-850-3135
aim:mnhxacna y!:mnhxacna msn:mnhxacna@hotmail.com

Old 10-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Rich Megginson

Dave wrote:

Hi, I have an old Netscape Directory Server version 4.1 (circa 2001)
that I need to migrate to Fedora Directory Server, but I am confused
as to the proper migration path.

I've been reading the Red Hat DS install guides at
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ (as there doesn't
appear to be as a comprehensive guide for Fedora DS.
The Red Hat Guides are pretty good, but refer to the wiki for
information about where the differ.

The Redhat DS 8.0 guide says that migrating Netscape DS 4.x is not
supported (only version 6 and above), so I read the Red Hat DS 6.0
install guide and it says that Netscape DS 4.x is indeed supported.
So am I right to presume that a step-upgrade will be required, from my
current version 4.x to 6.x and then to the current version 8.0?

Yes. I hope you are a perl hacker . . .
If you look here -
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/ldapserver/ldap/admin/src/scripts/?hideattic=0&root=dirsec
- you will see several dead migration scripts. The main one you want to
start with is template-migrateTo5 -
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/ldapserver/ldap/admin/src/scripts/template-migrateTo5?hideattic=0&revision=1.7&root=dirsec&vi ew=markup
- that file contains the code to convert the config and schema settings
from the old style to the new ldif style.

Also, what version of the Fedora-DS is equivalent to Red Hat DS 6.0?
There isn't one. The first version of Fedora DS was 7.1 which was
essentially the same as Red Hat DS 7.1

Old 10-03-2008, 03:28 PM
"Edward Capriolo"

Everyone here hit on the main points. The products are made from the
same code base so usually you only face minor schema changes. If you
directory is small you can usually use the ldapsearch and ldapmodify
command line tools. Some entire corporate directories are less then
4000 entries and export in less then a second. They import in less
then 1 minute.

I suggest exporting the data using an ldapsearch and try to load it on
a fresh system using ldapmodify/add. The tools will stop on a schema
violation and you investigate why that particular object did not load.

What you are facing now is similar to a situation you may face with an
upgrade from mysql 3.0 upgrade to mysql 5.0. It might be hard to find
an upgrade path from vendor documentation, but a plain old
mysqldump/mysqlimport will likely work. As mentioned you may have to
specifically deal with acls, roles, replication agreements- but you
would likely want to add those by hand so you can audit them in the
process.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Michael Ströder

Edward Capriolo wrote:
> Everyone here hit on the main points. The products are made from the
> same code base so usually you only face minor schema changes.

Edward, please don't take it personally but without knowing the original
poster's directory deployment you cannot assume only minor schema
changes. I've setup Netscape DS 4.x deployments myself with massive
schema changes.

> If you
> directory is small you can usually use the ldapsearch and ldapmodify
> command line tools. Some entire corporate directories are less then
> 4000 entries and export in less then a second. They import in less
> then 1 minute.

Using ldapsearch/ldapmodify for migration has the disadvantage of
loosing the operational attributes. This might be ok for this migration
but has to be considered carefully.

I'd strongly recommend to export with db2ldif and sanitize the LDIF data
if needed before doing an import.

Without knowing further details detailed recommendations are hard to give.

Ciao, Michael.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Dave

Hey everybody thanks for all the responses. I am new to this (if you
couldn't tell), but this is a relatively small directory installation of
about 500 people in the database. There is also iPlanet messaging
server, app server, and web server installed, but job is to migrate off
those platforms onto open source so I am not too concerned about the
config schema for those services.

With respect to exporting/import an LDIF file, yes there are about 20
custom fields in the schema for varying types of data such as user
preferences. This is one reason I was trying to avoid an
import/export of LDIF as it would require some cleansing. The
challenge of doing the step-upgrade now appears to be in finding version
6 iPlanet Directory Server to download somewhere... By the way, f
anyone is willing to take a crack at this I'd be more than happy to
compensate... I have a Red Hat test server set up with fedora-ds
installed and an LDIF file containing a dump of the Netscape DS 4.1 server.

About Ed's comment about MySQL: I've never had so much trouble with
SQL files as much as LDIF files... don't SQL files usually have the data
and schema right in the same file so everything can be done on a single
import without much need for cleansing?

Thanks again -Dave

Old 10-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Michael Ströder

Dave wrote:
> With respect to exporting/import an LDIF file, yes there are about 20
> custom fields in the schema for varying types of data such as user
> preferences. This is one reason I was trying to avoid an
> import/export of LDIF as it would require some cleansing. The
> challenge of doing the step-upgrade now appears to be in finding version
> 6 iPlanet Directory Server to download somewhere... By the way, f
> anyone is willing to take a crack at this I'd be more than happy to
> compensate... I have a Red Hat test server set up with fedora-ds
> installed and an LDIF file containing a dump of the Netscape DS 4.1 server.

Still I'd recommend to directly migrate to FDS by bulk-importing the
LDIF. If that does not work you can come to the mailing list for asking
why it fails.

Ciao, Michael.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Dave

OK exporting/importing the LDIF worked, but I had to do some sleuth work
to determine the custom objects and attributes in the slapd.user_oc.conf
slapd.user_at.conf respectively, then manually create these in the new
server using the same object and attribute types. I suppose this is
what the migration scripts would have done in version 6.0... not sure
why they couldn't do the same work in version 8.0. They build this
software to last decades, but we're supposed to discard it after a few
years when the support discontinues? good grief.

Thanks again to all who chimed in. cheers -Dave