Old 09-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Rich Megginson

Default fds 1.1+ not setting nsslapd-instancedir on install?

Ryan Braun [ADS] wrote:

On Wednesday 10 September 2008 16:57, Rich Megginson wrote:

shodan:/home/ryan/fdstools# ldapsearch -x -h yzxXXXX0 -D "cn=Directory
Manager" -W -b "cn=config" "objectclass=*"|grep instancedir
Enter LDAP Password:
nsslapd-instancedir:
shodan:/home/ryan/fdstools# ldapsearch -x -h yzxXXXX0 -D "cn=Directory
Manager" -W -b "cn=config" "objectclass=*"|grep nsslapd-ldifdir
Enter LDAP Password:
nsslapd-ldifdir: /var/lib/dirsrv/slapd-yzxdmns0/ldif

For now I'm useing nsslapd-ldifdir and just ~ s//ldif// to cut off the
ldir directory, but am just confirming this behavior is intended. FWIW
I built the packages myself, so it could very well be my own fault :P

Well, it depends - what were you using nsslapd-instancedir for? There
are several other attributes you could use now, depending on what you're
trying to do.

I was using nsslapd-instancedir to as the ref point on where to put the
changelog db files. Which by default in the console (1.1+)
is /var/lib/dirsrv/slapd-INSTANCE/changelog.

If you want the changelog directory, use nsslapd-directory, and see
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/cli/8.0/Configuration_Command_File_Reference-Plug_in_Implemented_Server_Functionality_Reference-Database_Plug_in_Attributes.html#Configuration_Com mand_File_Reference-Database_Attributes_under_cnconfig_cnldbm_database _cnplugins_cnconfig-nsslapd_directory

when you grab that attribute, just replace /db$ with /cldb to construct
the changelog directory.

But I couldn't find any attributes that would just point
to /var/lib/dirsrv/slapd-INSTANCE/. Which was what I assumed
nsslapd-instancedir was for.

No. Fedora 1.0 put everything under /opt/fedora-ds/slapd-instance - so
there was a single "instance" directory. Fedora DS 1.1 is FHS-ified -
see http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/FHS_Packaging
I guess when I was working on the script for 1.0.4 it just happened to be set
to the correct location so I used that value.

Ryan

Old 09-11-2008, 03:57 PM
"Ryan Braun [ADS]"

On Wednesday 10 September 2008 17:30, Rich Megginson wrote:

> >> Well, it depends - what were you using nsslapd-instancedir for? There
> >> are several other attributes you could use now, depending on what you're
> >> trying to do.
> >
> > I was using nsslapd-instancedir to as the ref point on where to put the
> > changelog db files. Which by default in the console (1.1+)
> > is /var/lib/dirsrv/slapd-INSTANCE/changelog.
>
> If you want the changelog directory, use nsslapd-directory, and see
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/cli/8.0/Configuration_Command
>_File_Reference-Plug_in_Implemented_Server_Functionality_Reference-Database_
>Plug_in_Attributes.html#Configuration_Command_Fil e_Reference-Database_Attrib
>utes_under_cnconfig_cnldbm_database_cnplugins_cnc onfig-nsslapd_directory
>
> when you grab that attribute, just replace /db$ with /cldb to construct
> the changelog directory.

Roger that, got it working with

##############################
# find the instance-dir
##############################
$msg = $ldap->search (
base => "cn=config, cn=ldbm database, cn=plugins, cn=config",
scope => "sub",
filter => "(objectClass=*)",
);

my $instance_dir = $msg->entry(0)->get_value("nsslapd-directory");
if (!defined($instance_dir)) {
print "Unable to determine the instancedir, pretty big issue, puking
";
exit 1;
}
$instance_dir =~ s//db//;

Thanks Rich.

Ryan

Old 09-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Rich Megginson

Ryan Braun [ADS] wrote:

[...]

I would suggest using /db$, but otherwise, yes, that's it. It's not
really an instance dir anymore, more like a database instance dir - you
will find under there the db dir, the changelog db dir, the default ldif
db export dir, and the default db backup dir.

Thanks Rich.

Ryan