Old 08-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Gene Poole

Default LDIF Documentation

I've been examining the Example.ldif
file attempting to understand it, without much success. *Where can
I find documentation on it's format and content? Or is there a piece of
software that will read and existing ldif and report on it?

Thanks,

Gene Poole

Old 08-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Sören Malchow

Hi Gene

ldif is a standardized format to exchange
data between LDAP servers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LDIF

you can import it into any LDAP server
( as long as it knows all required schemas )

every entry represents an object in
the LDAP server ( including its attributes with their values )

though this is the fedora-directory
mailing list, maybe the openldap quickstart helps you a little ( http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/quickstart.html
)

regards

soeren

fedora-directory-users-bounces@redhat.com wrote on
26.08.2008 15:43:01:

Old 08-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Legatus

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 08:43, Gene Poole <gene.poole@macys.com> wrote:

> I've been examining the Example.ldif file attempting to understand it,
> without much success. Where can I find documentation on it's format and
> content? Or is there a piece of software that will read and existing ldif
> and report on it?

I really don't intend to be a jerk with this answer, but google is
your friend in this. LDIF is an LDAP standard. It is well documented,
and there are tons of commentaries, howtos, etc on the net.

--
JD Runyan

P. J. O'Rourke - "Never fight an inanimate object."

Old 08-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Michael Ströder

Gene Poole wrote:

I've been examining the Example.ldif file attempting to understand it,
without much success. Where can I find documentation on it's format and
content? Or is there a piece of software that will read and existing
ldif and report on it?

See RFC 2849: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2849.txt

Although it looks simple at first glance my recommendation is to use a
decent LDIF module for your favourite programming language instead
hacking your own incomplete parser.

Ciao, Michael.