Old 08-26-2008, 03:53 AM
UMESH PANWAR

Default Directory server password security

Hi,

We are using Fredora Directory server 7.1 for authentication of users, mail accounts and proxy authentication. Yesterday I have observed that passwords goes in plain-text and anyone can retrieve actual user name and* password* easily with using a* software named cain.*

Can anybody suggest how can i secure user's password so that the password should travel in encrypted form.

I am new with fedora-ds so please explain me in detail.

Regards
Umesh

Umesh Panwar

+91-9829857475

Old 08-26-2008, 04:37 AM
Russell Miller

UMESH PANWAR wrote:

Hi,

We are using Fredora Directory server 7.1 for authentication of users,
mail accounts and proxy authentication. Yesterday I have observed that
passwords goes in plain-text and anyone can retrieve actual user name
and password easily with using a software named cain.

Can anybody suggest how can i secure user's password so that the
password should travel in encrypted form.

I am new with fedora-ds so please explain me in detail.

Unfortunately I don't have time to explain to you in detail. But I can
point you in the right direction. Probably the best and most secure way
to do it is to set up SSL between the client and the server.

This is going to take you a while to set up in the beginning, but once
you have your CA and signing key, things will get much easier.

--Russell

Old 08-27-2008, 02:31 PM
"Chun Tat David Chu"

To enable SSL on Fedora Directory Server, take a look at the Administrator Manual for Red Hat Directory Server 7.1

You can find the manual from below website
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/

- dc