Old 08-18-2008, 02:09 PM

Default Business Case: Advantage Opensource Directory VS Active Directory

Hello all,

I have a question why i should use an opensource directory server for my
opensource activities!

I work for a large company! 70k users

We have a large MS Windows based infrastructure win2k3 with winxp
workstations.

For our open source servers and workstations we thought to get an
Opensource Directory server because of the specific options that Active
Directory cannot deliver.

But now i get a lot of people who say that active directory can do all of it!

Can someone help me with getting the right arguments so i have a valid
reason to create an opensource directory server?

The things i wanna administer are:
Sudoldap
Freeipa based authentication/dns
application management

and probably a lot more!

Please let me know!

With kind regards,

William van de Velde

Old 08-20-2008, 06:51 AM
Andrey Ivanov

Bonjour cobra,

cco> I have a question why i should use an opensource directory server for my
cco> opensource activities!

cco> I work for a large company! 70k users

cco> We have a large MS Windows based infrastructure win2k3 with winxp
cco> workstations.

cco> Can someone help me with getting the right arguments so i have a valid
cco> reason to create an opensource directory server?
You can try this document to begin with (written for a customer by
Symas and HP) : http://www.symas.com/documents/Adam-Eval1-0.pdf

Andrey Ivanov
tel +33-(0)1-69-33-99-24
fax +33-(0)1-69-33-99-55

Direction des Systemes d'Information
Ecole Polytechnique
91128 Palaiseau CEDEX
France

Old 08-24-2008, 02:06 AM
"Merle Reine"

Been using Fedora Directory Server since its inception and up until recently, I would have recommended it above all others.* I am a Linux guru, windows hater and favor open source over any proprietary product.* That being said,* I recently switched to a new company and they happen to be all XP and 2003 server along with exchange.

Having had the opportunity to work now with both FDS and Active Directory,* I can tell you from first hand experience, Active Directory wins hands down.* It was easy to setup, easy to replicate, support 6,000 users currently at my office and is easily running on a dual core system while hardly using any resources.

I am no lover of Microsoft or any of its products but switching to ADAM was the best move i could have made.* There is no comparison on ease of setup, ease of management, stability.* ADAM wins hands down as much as I hate to say it, its true.

Just one person's first hand experience...

Merle Reine
CTO
Vanguard Industries, Inc.

Email Address: echo zreyr.ervar@tznvy.pbz | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'