Old 08-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Mister Anonyme

Default register-ds-admin.pl

Hi,

I tried to follow the guidelines here:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/8.0/Managing_Replication-Replicating-ADS-for-Failover.html

And it doesn't work.* So, I did it in another way.

On the first server, I created this inf file:

==================================
[General]
FullMachineName = firstserver.domain
AdminDomain = domain
SuiteSpotUserID = nobody
SuiteSpotGroup = nobody
ConfigDirectoryLdapURL = ldap://firstserver.domain:389/o=NetscapeRoot
ConfigDirectoryAdminID = admin
ConfigDirectoryAdminPwd = pass

[admin]
ServerAdminID = admin
ServerAdminPwd = pass
SysUser = nobody
ServerIpAddress = 1.1.1.1
Port = 9830

[slapd]
InstallLdifFile = suggest
ServerIdentifier = firstserver
ServerPort = 389
AddOrgEntries = Yes
RootDN = cn=Directory Manager
RootDNPwd = pass
SlapdConfigForMC = yes
Suffix = dc=host, dc=domain
UseExistingMC = 0
AddSampleEntries = No
=========================

I ran like this:
# /usr/sbin/setup-ds-admin.pl -s -f file.inf

Then, I configured the replication in the console for the DB NetscapeRoot.

On the second server, I created this inf file:

========
[General]

FullMachineName = secodserver.domain

AdminDomain = domain

SuiteSpotUserID = nobody

SuiteSpotGroup = nobody

ConfigDirectoryLdapURL = ldap://firstserver.domain:389/o=NetscapeRoot

ConfigDirectoryAdminID = admin

ConfigDirectoryAdminPwd = pass

[admin]

ServerAdminID = admin

ServerAdminPwd = pass

SysUser = nobody

ServerIpAddress = 1.1.1.1

Port = 9830

[slapd]

InstallLdifFile = suggest

ServerIdentifier = secodserver

ServerPort = 389

AddOrgEntries = Yes

RootDN = cn=Directory Manager

RootDNPwd = pass

SlapdConfigForMC = yes

Suffix = dc=host, dc=domain

UseExistingMC = 1

AddSampleEntries = No
================

As you can see, I installed the second server but it uses the Administrative Server on the first server.

I created NetscapeRoot database on the second server and I configured the replication.

Until now, it works very well.

When I want to change the second server that to use its own Administrative Server, I ran this command on the second server:

# /usr/sbin/register-ds-admin.pl

it seems that this server isn't able to clean his old DS directory and it always asking me to enter the password...* I also tried to installe the second server without installing the Administrative Server (setup-ds.pl instead of setup-ds-admin.pl) and I still face the same issue, not really same, but it always asks the password.* I tried the trick of "PTA (Pass Thru Authentication" and it doesn't fix the issue.

Here the log:

[root@nlnmlp22 eleblanc]# /usr/sbin/register-ds-admin.pl
Beginning registration of the Directory Server
The Directory Server locates its configuration file (dse.ldif) at /etc/dirsrv/slapd-ID, by default.* If you have Directory Server(s) which configuration file is put at the other location, you need to input it to register the server.

If you have such Directory Server, type the full path that stores the configuration file.

If you don't, type return.
[configuration directory path or return]:

Candidate servers to register:
*** /etc/dirsrv/slapd-nlnmlp22

Do you want to use this server as Configuration Directory Server?

Directory server identifier: nlnmlp22

Cleaning up old Config DS:

Please input the password for the Administrator User uid=admin, ou=Administrators, ou=TopologyManagement, o=NetscapeRoot:
Error: failed to clean up the configuration info from the old Configuration
Directory Server .

Please input the password for the Administrator User uid=admin, ou=Administrators, ou=TopologyManagement, o=NetscapeRoot:
Error: failed to clean up the configuration info from the old Configuration
Directory Server .

Thank you very much for your help!

E.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Rich Megginson

Mister Anonyme wrote:

Hi,

I tried to follow the guidelines here:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/8.0/Managing_Replication-Replicating-ADS-for-Failover.html

And it doesn't work.

Can you be more specific?

[...]

You can't really do that. The purpose of the Administration Server is
to provide a management agent on each machine. This allows you to
remotely manage the directory server (e.g. start it remotely, and run
other CGIs, among other things). A "remote Admin Server" doesn't make
sense.

I created NetscapeRoot database on the second server and I configured
the replication.

Until now, it works very well.

When I want to change the second server that to use its own
Administrative Server, I ran this command on the second server:

You can't really do that.