Old 08-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Graham Seaman

Default forcing reload?

Hi,

How do I persuade fedora-ds to load new schema? Restarting the slapd
daemon doesn't seem to do it. Completing removing a directory and then
recreating it does, but I don't want to have to keep doing that if
possible...

Thanks
Graham

Old 08-04-2008, 09:06 AM
solarflow99

I'd just restart dirsrv, and*probably even dirsrv-admin too.

*

Old 08-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Graham Seaman

solarflow99 wrote:

I'd just restart dirsrv, and probably even dirsrv-admin too.

I'm not running the admin server. Restarting dirsrv doesn't appear to do
it. If it should normally, I guess I've got something else wrong...

Graham

Old 08-04-2008, 09:40 AM
solarflow99

what platform are you running on?* a service restart should have dirsrv take the new schema, do the logs show anything wrong?

*
I'd just restart dirsrv, and probably even dirsrv-admin too.

I'm not running the admin server. Restarting dirsrv doesn't appear to do it. *If it should normally, I guess I've got something else wrong...

Graham

* *How do I persuade fedora-ds to load new schema? Restarting the
* *slapd daemon doesn't seem to do it. Completing removing a
* *directory and then recreating it does, but I don't want to have to

* *keep doing that if possible...

* *Thanks
* *Graham

* *--
* *Fedora-directory-users mailing list
* *Fedora-directory-users@redhat.com

* *<mailto:Fedora-directory-users@redhat.com>

*

Old 08-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Graham Seaman

solarflow99 wrote:
what platform are you running on? a service restart should have
dirsrv take the new schema, do the logs show anything wrong?

uname -a says:

Linux enterprise1.lse.ac.uk 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5 #1 SMP Tue Feb 19
07:18:21 EST 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

ns-slapd -version says:

Fedora-Directory/1.1.0 B2007.354.1236

There are no errors reported in access or errors when I restart; the
only error I'm getting is when I try to create an entry using the new
schema I'm trying to load, which gives me:

[04/Aug/2008:10:12:25 +0100] conn=1 op=5 RESULT err=65 tag=105
nentries=0 etime=0
[04/Aug/2008:11:02:12 +0100] - Entry "cn=test,ou=flame
users,dc=lse,dc=ac,dc=uk" has unknown object class "eduPerson"

eduPerson is a standard schema which works fine. It is the schema I
accidentally missed out when I started and am trying to add.

I have the same problem with Fedora-ds on another system running CentOS:
I can add a new schema only by deleting the directory and populating it
from scratch.

I am new to Ldap, so am not sure what is expected behaviour and what isn't.

<mailto:G.Seaman@lse.ac.uk> <mailto:G.Seaman@lse.ac.uk

Old 08-04-2008, 10:43 AM
solarflow99

[...]

ok, it sounds like what I think it is.* When you created the existing users, they were not added with the eduPerson objectclass since the schema didn't exist in FDS, so now only new users will automatically*get it assuming*your front end provides it, not sure what you are using since you said its not dirsrv-admin, you must have a way of adding new users, etc.* Thats why its best to add the schema to FDS first, then start creating new users.*

*
The way I understand it, the schema only makes it possible for an ldap server to allow the extra feature, but its the user (object) that has its necessary objectclasses assigned to it, for each objectclass, you can assign the values and attributes.* For example:* samba requires adding the samba schema into FDS, then each user needs to have the "sambasamaccount" objectclass which has*numerous values that samba accounts use.

*
I was new with ldap not long ago too, hope this helps..
*

* * * *I'd just restart dirsrv, and probably even dirsrv-admin too.

* *I'm not running the admin server. Restarting dirsrv doesn't appear
* *to do it. *If it should normally, I guess I've got something else

* *wrong...

* *Graham

* * * * On 8/4/08, *Graham Seaman* <G.Seaman@lse.ac.uk
* * * *<mailto:G.Seaman@lse.ac.uk> <mailto:G.Seaman@lse.ac.uk

* * * *<mailto:G.Seaman@lse.ac.uk>>> wrote:

* * * * * Hi,

* * * * * How do I persuade fedora-ds to load new schema? Restarting the
* * * * * slapd daemon doesn't seem to do it. Completing removing a
* * * * * directory and then recreating it does, but I don't want to

* * * *have to
* * * * * keep doing that if possible...

* * * * * Thanks
* * * * * Graham

* * * * * --
* * * * * Fedora-directory-users mailing list
* * * * * Fedora-directory-users@redhat.com

* * * *<mailto:Fedora-directory-users@redhat.com>
* * * * * <mailto:Fedora-directory-users@redhat.com

* * * *<mailto:Fedora-directory-users@redhat.com>>

* * * *------------------------------------------------------------------------

* * * *--
* * * *Fedora-directory-users mailing list
* * * *Fedora-directory-users@redhat.com

* * * *<mailto:Fedora-directory-users@redhat.com>

* * * *

* *--

Old 08-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Graham Seaman

solarflow99 wrote:

ok, it sounds like what I think it is. When you created the existing
users, they were not added with the eduPerson objectclass since the
schema didn't exist in FDS, so now only new users will
automatically get it assuming your front end provides it, not sure
what you are using since you said its not dirsrv-admin, you must have
a way of adding new users, etc. Thats why its best to add the schema
to FDS first, then start creating new users.
I'm tinkering with new schema as well as including the standard
eduPerson and was hoping to avoid having to strip out all the data and
then repopulate each time I make a minor change to the schema. I'm
populating it from a large Active Directory by script, which already has
quite a long run time.

But I don't have any users in the directory at all yet, which is why I
was a bit surprised at the behaviour. I thought at least adding new
users with a new schema wouldn't be a problem. I guess if that is out
the next thing I need to check is what happens if I add a new 'may'
field to an existing schema - will it force me to drop all the old data
to install that, too.

<mailto:G.Seaman@lse.ac.uk

Old 08-04-2008, 11:44 AM
ken

Graham Seaman wrote:

I'm tinkering with new schema as well as including the standard
eduPerson

Perhaps best to get it working with the standard before changing
anything?

and was hoping to avoid having to strip out all the data and
then repopulate each time I make a minor change to the schema.

That should not be neccessary unless your new or altered schema
removed or redefines attributes or classes that are already in
place in the directory. I added three or four new schemata to
the directory I just installed, including EduPerson, and each
time the data remained in place but I became able to add new
attribute types to existing directory objects

What order are you loading the schema files in? (Controlled by
the two digits at the start of the file name)

> I'm
populating it from a large Active Directory by script, which already has
quite a long run time.

Pretty much exactly what I'm doing!

But I don't have any users in the directory at all yet, which is why I
was a bit surprised at the behaviour. I thought at least adding new
users with a new schema wouldn't be a problem. I guess if that is out
the next thing I need to check is what happens if I add a new 'may'
field to an existing schema - will it force me to drop all the old data
to install that, too.

I do not think it should not do this at all. As far as I know
adding EduPerson (or any other new schema) ought not to change
what is in the directory already as long as you do not delete
or redefine old classes or attributes that are used by existing
entries.

Are there no error messages at startup?

Does the "new schema" you say you are "tinkering with" contain
any attributes or classes with the same names or OIDs as ones in
any other schema?

Does the version of the eduPerson schema you are using contain a
"changetype:" or any "add:" or "delete:" attributes? (I had to
strip them all out to get mine working because Fedora didn't
like an attempt to modify things that didn't exist)

I wouldn't want to bet on what happens if a class is defined in
one schema, then referred to in another, then redefined in a third!

Old 08-04-2008, 12:03 PM
ken

Graham Seaman wrote:

will it force me to drop all the old
data to install that, too.

and I incompetently replied:

I do not think it should not do this at all.

which of course should have been either "I do not think it
should do this..." or else "I think it should not do this..."

Whoops

Old 08-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Graham Seaman

ken wrote:

Graham Seaman wrote:

I'm tinkering with new schema as well as including the standard
eduPerson

Perhaps best to get it working with the standard before changing
anything?
Well, it does work on another Fedora install so I know there's nothing
syntactically wrong with the schema. But I just know I'm going to have
to make changes to my new schema after the thing goes live... (I'm not
modifying eduPerson, the new schema is something separate)

and was hoping to avoid having to strip out all the data and then
repopulate each time I make a minor change to the schema.

That should not be neccessary unless your new or altered schema
removed or redefines attributes or classes that are already in place
in the directory. I added three or four new schemata to the directory
I just installed, including EduPerson, and each time the data remained
in place but I became able to add new attribute types to existing
directory objects
OK, that's the way I thought it should work. So I must have something
setup wrong. What Fedora version are you using?

What order are you loading the schema files in? (Controlled by the
two digits at the start of the file name)

60pam-plugin.ldif
65eduperson200806.ldif
70edumember.ldif
80testperson.ldif
99user.ldif

> I'm
populating it from a large Active Directory by script, which already
has quite a long run time.

Pretty much exactly what I'm doing!

But I don't have any users in the directory at all yet, which is why
I was a bit surprised at the behaviour. I thought at least adding new
users with a new schema wouldn't be a problem. I guess if that is
out the next thing I need to check is what happens if I add a new
'may' field to an existing schema - will it force me to drop all the
old data to install that, too.

I do not think it should not do this at all. As far as I know adding
EduPerson (or any other new schema) ought not to change what is in the
directory already as long as you do not delete or redefine old
classes or attributes that are used by existing entries.

Are there no error messages at startup?
None. Maybe I should look at increasing the log level. But I just
realised the admin server (which I'm not using) does have a problem -

[13:39 g_seaman@enterprise1:~/Ldap] sudo /etc/init.d/dirsrv-admin start
Starting dirsrv-admin:
grep: /etc/dirsrv/admin-serv/adm.conf: No such file or directory
/var/run/dirsrv is not writable for

Odd, since /var/run/dirsrv is world writeable (and the main directory is
writing to it fine). But there genuinely is no adm.conf. All the same, I
can't see how this would relate to my original problem.

Does the "new schema" you say you are "tinkering with" contain any
attributes or classes with the same names or OIDs as ones in any other
schema?

No. It works fine in another fedora-ds install anyway. It's mainly just
to mop up a few Active Directory attributes I want to keep which don't
have equivalents in the other schema I'm using (things like department
(not departmentNumber), coursecode, etc). It's there exactly because
those names don't exist anywhere else.

Does the version of the eduPerson schema you are using contain a
"changetype:" or any "add:" or "delete:" attributes? (I had to strip
them all out to get mine working because Fedora didn't like an attempt
to modify things that didn't exist)

No, I didn't even know you could do that in a schema. Mine is a straight
version of the latest one on the educause site.
I wouldn't want to bet on what happens if a class is defined in one
schema, then referred to in another, then redefined in a third!

Nor me, but I'm sure that's not the problem.

Graham