Old 07-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Gene Poole

Default Fedora DS Installation

I would like to install the latest release
of Fedora Directory Server onto a specific filesystem. *Does anyone
know how this can be done? *Is it possible using RPM?

TIA,

Gene Poole

Old 07-15-2008, 02:08 AM
"Edwind Richzendy Contreras Soto"

2008/7/15 Gene Poole <gene.poole@macys.com>:

> I would like to install the latest release of Fedora Directory Server onto a
> specific filesystem. Does anyone know how this can be done? Is it possible
> using RPM?

perhaps you may have some problem, just try it, the worst that can
happen is to get a segment of fault.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Rich Megginson

Gene Poole wrote:

I would like to install the latest release of Fedora Directory Server
onto a specific filesystem. Does anyone know how this can be done?
Is it possible using RPM?
Not using RPM. The pre-built RPMS available from Fedora and our web
site use a strict FHS layout -
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/FHS_Packaging
However, when you run setup, you have a great deal of flexibility about
where to put files/directories - unfortunately, you will have to read
the code in /usr/lib/dirsrv/perl/DSCreate.pm to see what all of those
options are, and you will have to create an install.inf file to specify
all of the customized paths - take a look at the setDefaults() function
in DSCreate.pm

TIA,
Gene Poole

Old 07-21-2008, 03:16 PM
Gene Poole

I would like to install the latest release
of Fedora Directory Server onto a specific filesystem. *Does anyone
know how this can be done? *Is it possible using RPM?

Thanks,

Gene Poole

Old 07-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Rich Megginson

Gene Poole wrote:

I would like to install the latest release of Fedora Directory Server
onto a specific filesystem.

Can you describe exactly what you are trying to do?

Does anyone know how this can be done? Is it possible using RPM?
Not directly with RPM. The Fedora DS RPMs we provide are not
relocateable. They abide by the FHS -
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/FHS_Packaging

If you want to build it from source, you can provide a specific prefix
or use the default prefix /opt/fedora-ds.

There may be other ways to achieve what you want to do. Please provide
more details.

Thanks,
Gene Poole

Old 07-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Gene Poole

Rich Megginson wrote:

> Can you describe exactly what you are trying to do?

> Not directly with RPM. *The Fedora DS RPMs we provide are not

> relocateable. *They abide by the FHS -

> http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/FHS_Packaging

> If you want to build it from source, you can provide a specific prefix

> or use the default prefix /opt/fedora-ds.

> There may be other ways to achieve what you want to do. *Please
provide

> more details.

If you remember older releases came
as tar balls which allowed me to determine where I wanted the software
and create a file system ahead of time. *Since it started using RPMs,
I can no longer build a server and create all of the file systems ahead
of time, because how will I know if they decide to move it next week? next
month? next year?

Thanks,

Gene Poole

Old 07-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Rich Megginson

Gene Poole wrote:

Rich Megginson wrote:

> Can you describe exactly what you are trying to do?
>
> Not directly with RPM. The Fedora DS RPMs we provide are not
> relocateable. They abide by the FHS -
> http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/FHS_Packaging
>
> If you want to build it from source, you can provide a specific prefix
> or use the default prefix /opt/fedora-ds.
>
> There may be other ways to achieve what you want to do. Please provide
> more details.

If you remember older releases came as tar balls which allowed me to
determine where I wanted the software and create a file system ahead
of time. Since it started using RPMs, I can no longer build a server
and create all of the file systems ahead of time, because how will I
know if they decide to move it next week? next month? next year?
Some of the directories have always been configurable - log file
directory, database directory - so those could be changed to a different
filesystem, even in the old format - not during setup, but afterwards.
And those are the file systems which you will usually have to worry
about, in terms of performance and having enough space.

Thanks,
Gene Poole