Old 07-07-2008, 10:16 PM
"Mike C"

Default Case Sensitive Lookup and Searching

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 6:24 AM, Michael Ströder <michael@stroeder.com> wrote:
> Hmm, but then the problem of the original poster is that the matching rule
> applied to an attribute value (based on your rule above) has nothing to with
> the normalization of the entry's RDN.
> Because he was asking about memberUid=steves vs. memberUid=Steves which are
> two different entries in his data (based on caseExactIA5Match) but are
> treated as the same entry in FDS.
>
> (Nevertheless he should get his data fixed for various reasons.)

I agree, my schema (and data) are terrible. It's an artifact from
openldap not being as conforming as fds.

My main concern is that sanitizing my repository would require
changing usernames for a hundred odd external users, something I wish
to avoid. But given how memberUid's case sensitivity is nullified when
part of a dn, migration it is.

Thank you all for your help,

Regards,

Mike

Old 07-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Pierangelo Masarati

Mike C wrote:

I agree, my schema (and data) are terrible. It's an artifact from
openldap not being as conforming as fds.

I assume you meant the opposite. OpenLDAP is operating according to the
specification of memberUid as in RFC 2307 (case-sensitive), while FDS
isn't. Whether you might consider this a feature or not, this is a fact.

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
OpenLDAP Core Team

SysNet s.r.l.
via Dossi, 8 - 27100 Pavia - ITALIA
http://www.sys-net.it

Old 07-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Michael Ströder

Mike C wrote:

I agree, my schema (and data) are terrible.

Then fix it.

It's an artifact from openldap not being as conforming as fds.

Hmm, from the LDAPv3 standard's standpoint I strongly disagree.
Strictly speaking it's the other way round.

My main concern is that sanitizing my repository would require
changing usernames for a hundred odd external users, something I wish
to avoid.

Why do you have to change the user names? You could split the data
across different subtrees and change the clients' configuration
accordingly. Or you could merge entries. Or whatever...
That's just meant as a start to think about what you can do without
changing what the end-user has to type in. Your mileage may vary...

Ciao, Michael.