Old 06-24-2008, 03:42 PM
"Glenn"

Default Scheduled Resync with Windows Sync?

It is difficult to know when a full resynchronization is necessary for a
given Windows Sync agreement. I would like to be able to start a full resync
from a cron script. Is this possible, or is there any other way to schedule
a full resync to run periodically without human intervention?

We are using Fedora Directory 1.04 on Red Hat EL4, synchronizing with Active
Directory running on Windows 2003 Server. Thanks. -G.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:01 PM
David Boreham

Glenn wrote:
It is difficult to know when a full resynchronization is necessary for a
given Windows Sync agreement.
Why do you want to perform a full sync ? Typically that would only be
done if
a) the servers had been out of contact for a long time or b) when
bringing up a new

server or c) if the software is broken.
I would like to be able to start a full resync
from a cron script. Is this possible, or is there any other way to schedule
a full resync to run periodically without human intervention?

You can do this. The console initiates sync by writing to an LDAP entry
in the server's
agreement tree. I'm not sure if this is documented so you might need to
snoop the traffic

from a manual operation and then write a script to generate the same result.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:22 PM
"Glenn"

David - At least once a week on our 8,000-user systems, synchronization
breaks. Usually it is because the Passsync service on the AD server stops
running. Other times, Passync is running, but passwords do not sync.
Sometimes passwords sync only one way. Sometimes password sync works when we
change the user's password on the domain controller, but it does not work
when we change the user's password on the user's Windows XP computer.

Sometimes password sync breaks and other attributes continue to synchronize.
Often while this is going on, new accounts are not replicated from one system
to the other. An aggravating factor seems to be accounts that have
attributes allowed in Fedora Directory but not allowed in Active Directory,
such as duplicate names or user IDs.

The remedy for these problems seems to be to stop and restart Passsync and do
a full resync from the Fedora Directory Server console. Duplicate entries
must be changed so they are acceptable to AD, and a resync is necessary to
get them to replicate.

Thanks for the suggestion on creating the resync script. -G.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:29 PM
David Boreham

Glenn wrote:
David - At least once a week on our 8,000-user systems, synchronization
breaks. Usually it is because the Passsync service on the AD server stops
running. Other times, Passync is running, but passwords do not sync.
Sometimes passwords sync only one way. Sometimes password sync works when we
change the user's password on the domain controller, but it does not work
when we change the user's password on the user's Windows XP computer.

You do know that the passsync service is completely autonomous from the
FDS server-side sync functionality ?
Initiating a re-sync on FDS should have no affect on passsync, since
they are separate.
Sometimes password sync breaks and other attributes continue to synchronize.

This would make perfect sense, since the two are implemented in
different software, running on different machines.
Often while this is going on, new accounts are not replicated from one system
to the other. An aggravating factor seems to be accounts that have
attributes allowed in Fedora Directory but not allowed in Active Directory,
such as duplicate names or user IDs.

Hmm...the FDS windows sync code is supposed to strip off illegal schema
to prevent this problem,

but perhaps it isn't working properly in your case.
The remedy for these problems seems to be to stop and restart Passsync and do
a full resync from the Fedora Directory Server console. Duplicate entries
must be changed so they are acceptable to AD, and a resync is necessary to
get them to replicate.

If you're running an 8k user site with this code you might think about
investing some money
in having someone fix it. It sounds like you have hit one or more quite
serious bugs that would

probably not take too long to diagnose and fix.