FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Directory

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-11-2008, 02:43 PM
ken
 
Default ldapmodify to add OU failed, and led to "ldap_search: Operations error"

ldapmodify to add OU failed, and led to "ldap_search: Operations
error"


I set up a directory and am feeling my way towards making it
live by doing one thing at a time. I successfully added quite a
large number of users using ldapmodify, and could retrieve them
with ldapsearch and db2ldif.


Then I tried to add some new OUs in order to copy a subset of
the OU hierarchy we have on Windows. But when I ran the
ldapmodify it failed.


From that moment on, every ldapsearch I tried resulted in:
ldap_search: Operations error

I stopped and restarted the ldap daemon and now every search I
try produces:

ldap_search: No such object

The database looks as if it is empty

What did I do wrong? Can a botched modify so easily wipe out
what is already there? Or are they secretly hiding somewhere? Is
there a utility that can show me what is actually in the
database even if I don't know what its root name is? (I thought
db2ldif might do that and it shows nothing now)


I know I can wipe this database entirely (it looks like I
already have!) and re-install. BUT I want to know what I did
wrong so I don't do it again. The LDIFs to be imported into the
directory will come from a program I wrote (it gathers
information from various sources such as an SQL database, WAD,
/etc/passwd...) and I really don't want to risk repeating my
mistake in batch runs at 2am after we've gone live and coming in
to find no-one can use the directory.



Any clues?

Examples of what I did:

Command used to import LDIF to define an OU

========================
ldapmodify -a -B "dc=bbk,dc=ac,dc=uk" -D "cn=directory manager"
-w [PWD]

========================

the LDIF that was used:

========================
dn: ou=students,ou=people,dc=bbk,dc=ac,dc=uk
objectClass: top
objectClass: organizationalunit
ou: students
========================

Error log from ldapmodify:

==========================================
[09/Jun/2008:19:54:47 +0100] - WARNING: Import is running with
nsslapd-db-private-import-mem on; No other process is
allowed to access the database
[09/Jun/2008:19:54:47 +0100] - Bulk import: begin import on
'dc=bbk,dc=ac,dc=uk'.
[09/Jun/2008:19:54:56 +0100] - import userRoot: WARNING:
Skipping entry "ou=students,ou=people,dc=bbk,dc=ac,dc=uk" which
has no parent, ending at line 0 of file "(bulk import)"
[09/Jun/2008:19:55:05 +0100] - import userRoot: Workers
finished; cleaning up...

[09/Jun/2008:19:55:05 +0100] - import userRoot: Workers cleaned up.
[09/Jun/2008:19:55:05 +0100] - import userRoot: Indexing
complete. Post-processing...
[09/Jun/2008:19:55:05 +0100] - Nothing to do to build ancestorid
index

[09/Jun/2008:19:55:05 +0100] - import userRoot: Flushing caches...
[09/Jun/2008:19:55:05 +0100] - import userRoot: Closing files...
[09/Jun/2008:19:55:05 +0100] - import userRoot: Import complete.
Processed 1 entries (1 were skipped) in 18 seconds. (0.06
entries/sec)

[09/Jun/2008:19:55:05 +0100] - Bulk import completed successfully.
==========================================

There was no error message on the screen, but the log says the
object "has no parent". Though as far as I can tell it has the
same parent as the user entries I added successfully, such as:


========================
# ldapsearch -b 'dc=bbk,dc=ac,dc=uk' -D "cn=directory manager"
-w [PWD] '(objectclass=person)'

version: 1
dn: cn=xlean99,ou=people,dc=bbk,dc=ac,dc=uk
cn: xlean99
description: A mythical person to test LDAP with
objectClass: person
objectClass: top
sn: Lean
========================

Which was in there but is no longer.

But now I see things like:

========================
[ken@~]$ /usr/lib/mozldap/ldapsearch -b 'dc=bbk,dc=ac,dc=uk' -D
"cn=uxxxxxx" '(cn=uxxxxxx)'

ldap_search: No such object

[ken@~]$ ldapsearch -b 'dc=bbk,dc=ac,dc=uk' -D "cn=directory
manager" -w [PWD] '(objectclass=person)'

ldap_search: No such object

[ken@~]$ ldapsearch -b 'dc=bbk,dc=ac,dc=uk' '(objectclass=*)'
ldap_search: No such object
========================

And most worryingly of all:

========================
[ken@~]$ ldapsearch -b "" -s base -D "cn=directory manager" -w
[PWD] '(objectclass=*)' namingContext

version: 1
dn:
[ken@~]$
========================

:-(

It's not a permissions problem because this works:

========================
ldapsearch -b o=netscaperoot "objectclass=*" cn
========================

This also still works:

========================
[]# /usr/lib/dirsrv/slapd-ldap1/db2ldif -n NetscapeRoot -a
/tmp/stuff2.ldif

Exported ldif file: /tmp/stuff2.ldif
ldiffile: /tmp/stuff2.ldif
[11/Jun/2008:14:03:47 +0100] - export NetscapeRoot: Processed 95
entries (100%).

[11/Jun/2008:14:03:47 +0100] - All database threads now stopped
========================

But this produces nothing:

========================
[]# /usr/lib/dirsrv/slapd-ldap1/db2ldif -n UserRoot -a
/tmp/stuffU.ldif

Exported ldif file: /tmp/stuffU.ldif
ldiffile: /tmp/stuffU.ldif
[11/Jun/2008:14:38:23 +0100] - All database threads now stopped
[]# more /tmp/stuffU.ldif
version: 1
========================









--
Fedora-directory-users mailing list
Fedora-directory-users@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-directory-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:11 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org