Old 06-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Rich Megginson

Default Remote console fails for access to Fedora-DS 1.1

Wolf Siedler wrote:
now I see the info from your first message, it looks like a java
problem to me even though it should work. What I did was used the
java for rhel from the supplimental RHN channel and it always worked
well.

I just tried it again through the Windows msi for the IDM console.

System is Windows 2000 and Sun-JRE 1.5.0_15.
The dos prompt shows the same Java error as quoted in my previous report.
There is a problem with the windows console .bat file - it does not find
the correct version of java. To fix, simply edit the batch file - look
for where it sets JAVA (it is commented out - rem means comment in batch
file language) - uncomment this and set it to the correct path and file
name of your java.exe.

Windows 2000 and Sun-JRE 1.6.0_06:
Same problem as before; when clicking on "Directory Server" in the
console there is an error message about a missing fedora-ds-1.0.jar.
Furthermore, when clicking on "Administration Server", even that one
doesn't open anymore. Instead there is a similar popup windows
complaining about a missing fedora-ds-1.1.jar.

It is supposed to download the correct jar file from the server.

I'm not sure where it is stored on Windows, but there will be a
directory/folder called .fedora-idm-console in your HOME
directory/folder (wherever that is) - remove that directory/folder and
try again.

I'll try Java 6 on Linux tomorrow.

Has anybody running a standalone IDM console? If yes - on which
OS/Java version?

Regards,
Wolf

Old 06-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Nathan Kinder

Wolf Siedler wrote:

So let me describe the setup:
I have a server (RHEL 5.1) running Fedora Directory Server and Fedora
Admin Server. It used to be Fedora-DS 1.0.4 (installed from rpm). A
few days ago, I upgraded Fedora-DS to 1.1. For the upgrade procedure,
I followed the instructions on the website regarding prerequisites and
repo configuration. Afterwards, I ran the migration script
migrate-ds-admin.pl. It stated that migration was done successfully
(as per the logfile in /tmp/), only failed to start the admin server.
Which I then did manually. The directory server was started
automatically.

Now I would like to use my workstation (running Fedora 7) for
configuration. Java is JDK 1.5.0_14 from Sun.
In the past, it worked after installing Fedora-DS 1.0.4 rpm and
starting the console by ./startconsole.
After the upgrade, I tried to duplicate the earlier approach and
upgraded everything Fedora-DS-related on my workstation to version
1.1... Then I tried to start the console via fedora-idm-console.

It didn't work 100%: I was able to open the configuration window for
Fedora Administration Server from the main console window. However, I
was unable to open the Fedora Directory Server configuration window
from the main console. There were always error messages about a
missing/incomplete fedora-ds-1.0.jar and clicking button "Download" in
the main console didn't chnage anything.

In order to see whether it might be a Java-related problem, I used a
virtual machine with Windows 2000, fedora IDM console (.msi) and
Sun-JRE 1.5.0_15 for crosschecking. Same failure in the main console
window when trying to access the Fedora Directory Server (the one on
the RHEL server) configuration window .
Then I changed the JRE to Sun-JRE 1.6.0_06. Still, the same error when
trying to access the Fedora Directory Server configuration window.

So I removed everything Fedora-DS-related on my workstation, including
~/.fedora-idm-console.

Next step was to install package fedora-idm-console only through yum.

Afterwards, I started the console on my workstation by
fedora-idm-console -D 9 -f fds_console.log

From studying fds_console.log, I learned that the console apparently
could not find fedora-ds-1.0.jar and fedora-ds-1.0_en.jar on the
server (error 404). Fedora-ds-1.1(...).jar were found.
So I went over the file structure at the server and found the
fedora-ds-1.1(...).jar files in directory /usr/share/dirsrv/html/java/.
However, copying fedora-ds-1.0.jar and fedora-ds-1.0_en.jar to
/usr/share/dirsrv/html/java/ brought no change, fds_console.log still
showed the error 404.
Only after manually creating (sub)directory
/usr/share/dirsrv/html/java/jars/ and copying fedora-ds-1.0.jar +
fedora-ds-1.0_en.jar in there (only those two), the error 404
disappeared from fds_console.log.

The current status is: On my (Fedora 7) workstation, I can open Fedora
IDM console. Problems begin once I expand (in the main console window)
the subtree below "Server Group".
I still can access Fedora Administration Server and open its
configuration window. The (workstation/console) logfile
fds_console.log shows that fedora-admin-1.1.jar gets downloaded from
server to workstation.
When attempting to open entry Fedora Directory Server, the console
downloads fedora-ds-1.0.jar and fedora-ds-1.0_en.jar. But I can't open
the corresponding configuration window from the console.
Fds_console.log shows plenty of "class not found messages" and ends up
in a Java exception error (attached below).

At least as far as I am aware, there should be no more Fedora-DS
components at level 1.0.4, neither on the server nor on the
workstation/console side.
However, while writing this down, I just double checked with JXplorer
and found in cn=Fedora Direcory Server, ... , o=NetscapeRoot the
attribute nsProductVersion as 1.0.4.

Is this maybe the reason for all my troubles? Is there a way to find
out whether my directory server is really still left at version 1.0.4?
As mentioned above, based on the feedback of the migration script, I
was honestly convinced it was successfully migrated.
If is just a matter of an inaccurate version string, I could easily
correct that through JXplorer. But to what value?
I believe the migration did upgrade you to Fedora Directory Server 1.1,
which you can verify in the ns-slapd errors log. The problem is that
not all of the entries used by the Administration Server were properly
updated. You should be able to look through the "o=NetscapeRoot"
portion of your tree to see where 1.0.4 is still referenced and change
them. The incorrect jar file name should be listed in an attribute
there as well.

-NGK

I regret to cause that much trouble. Nevertheless, I appreciate your
ongoing and fast advice.

Regards,
Wolf

======