Old 05-27-2008, 01:19 PM
David Timms

Default Orphaning my Packages - "packager pump-ups" :-)

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 4:01 AM, G <balajig81@gmail.com> wrote:

Off late There are more contributors joinig fedora which is excellent

I'm all ears as to what you think is appropriate feedback.

How many times has my package, and it's updates been downloaded ?
ie am I really just doing this for myself, or are my fellow Fedorians
benefiting from my work {and it takes me weeks to get even a basic
package ready for the review process, so I understand how much work} ?

This could at least be tracked on the fedoraproject managed sites, as
raw down-load hits. Would miss the packages that are included in live
cd's and within download media.

Perhaps an advance on the mirror-manager tracker that allows a mirror to
upload download hit counts for each rpm file for the day/week/month etc ?

Also, number of available and or installed packages that use my package
as a requires ?

smolt for packages ? opt-in, no-ip tracking possible. I guess that is
what redhat network etc would have been doing in "helping us track our
system's updatedness" in late rhl / early fedora times.

And, many thanks to Brandon for the work done in making some php
packages like json available - this made it a lot easier for me to get
eg sugar crm demo going for work.

Cheers,

DaveT.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Matt Domsch

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 11:19:53PM +1000, David Timms wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> >On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 4:01 AM, G <balajig81@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>Off late There are more contributors joinig fedora which is excellent
>
> >I'm all ears as to what you think is appropriate feedback.
> How many times has my package, and it's updates been downloaded ?
> ie am I really just doing this for myself, or are my fellow Fedorians
> benefiting from my work {and it takes me weeks to get even a basic
> package ready for the review process, so I understand how much work} ?
>
> This could at least be tracked on the fedoraproject managed sites, as
> raw down-load hits. Would miss the packages that are included in live
> cd's and within download media.
>
> Perhaps an advance on the mirror-manager tracker that allows a mirror to
> upload download hit counts for each rpm file for the day/week/month etc ?

is filed; needs someone to champion it.

> Also, number of available and or installed packages that use my package
> as a requires ?

yum provides this, albeit not recursively.

> And, many thanks to Brandon for the work done in making some php
> packages like json available - this made it a lot easier for me to get
> eg sugar crm demo going for work.

Indeed. Brandon, best of luck in your future endeavors.

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux

Old 05-27-2008, 03:51 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 5:19 AM, David Timms <dtimms@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> smolt for packages ? opt-in, no-ip tracking possible. I guess that is what
> redhat network etc would have been doing in "helping us track our system's
> updatedness" in late rhl / early fedora times.

Can smolt be extended to give people a choice as to what optional
information they want to 'gift' back to the project? no-ip tracking..
you're no fun. Don't you want to see where in the world your packages
are being used?

-jef

Old 06-02-2008, 08:38 AM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 11:19:53PM +1000, David Timms wrote:
> How many times has my package, and it's updates been downloaded ?

You might want to have a look at Debian popcon, which collects similar
sorts of stats for Debian:

http://popcon.debian.org/

Rich.

Read my OCaml programming blog: http://camltastic.blogspot.com/
Fedora now supports 59 OCaml packages (the OPEN alternative to F#)