Old 05-27-2008, 10:58 AM
"Valent Turkovic"

Default Fedora 10 and flash?

Hi, I must share this report with you.
I don't use Ubuntu but I installed it on one PC in a lab for students
and kids to learn using it (we have half Fedora and half Ubuntu lab).
I opened Firefox and went to www.redhatmagazine.com and immediately I
got a pop up window with a choice to install Adobe Flash, Swhdec or
Gnash plugin. I was amazed how well this worked and that I had a
choice to pick any one plugin that I believe it better.
I know about Fedora's upstream mentality but I must take my hat to
Ubuntu devels for making their "Ubuntu plugin service" work great. I
know that this is what Mozilla should have made but with their track
for supporting linux isn't the best one. And also I see some projects
that fedora made and didn't wait for the others but fedora and red hat
devels made them because they were missing (pulseaudio,
networkmanager, and lots of others...) so does it make sense to you
that Fedora makes also "Fedor plugin service" for Fedora 10 or do you
believe that if it is not in Firefox by default than Fedora should not
touch it in anyway? Why?

Cheers,
Valent.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic

Old 05-27-2008, 11:06 AM
"Valent Turkovic"

I have a correction, it is called "Plugin finder service" and not
"Ubuntu plugin service" and here are the screenshots:
http://www.uploadgeek.com/uploads456/0/Prikaz_zaslona-Plugin Finder Service.png
http://www.uploadgeek.com/uploads456/0/Prikaz_zaslona.png
http://www.uploadgeek.com/uploads456/0/Prikaz_zaslona-2.png
http://www.uploadgeek.com/uploads456/0/Prikaz_zaslona-3.png
http://www.uploadgeek.com/uploads456/0/Prikaz_zaslona-4.png
http://www.uploadgeek.com/uploads456/0/Prikaz_zaslona-5.png
http://www.uploadgeek.com/uploads456/0/Prikaz_zaslona-Install
multimedia codecs-1.png

Cheers,
Valent.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Matej Cepl

On Tue, 27 May 2008 13:06:18 +0200, Valent Turkovic scripst:

> I have a correction, it is called "Plugin finder service" and not
> "Ubuntu plugin service" and here are the screenshots:

And here is the bug in RH Bugzilla about it -- http://
bugzilla.redhat.com/432957.

Matej

--
The content of this message is licensed under a Creative Commons
Attribution 3.0 License, Some Rights Reserved.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:34 AM
"Jeff Spaleta"

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 2:58 AM, Valent Turkovic
<valent.turkovic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I must share this report with you.
> I don't use Ubuntu but I installed it on one PC in a lab for students
> and kids to learn using it (we have half Fedora and half Ubuntu lab).
> I opened Firefox and went to www.redhatmagazine.com and immediately I
> got a pop up window with a choice to install Adobe Flash, Swhdec or
> Gnash plugin. I was amazed how well this worked and that I had a
> choice to pick any one plugin that I believe it better.
> I know about Fedora's upstream mentality but I must take my hat to
> Ubuntu devels for making their "Ubuntu plugin service" work great. I
> know that this is what Mozilla should have made but with their track
> for supporting linux isn't the best one.

Are you volunteering to create the necessary firefox extension and the
plugin finder service implementation which mimics what Ubuntu is
doing? Can you find the code that implements the service as they
provide it for review? Until we know how they do it, and what data
they use to do it, we don't really have a starting point worth talking
about as to whether we can do what they do. I would have some
concerns about running a central Fedora service, because any service
Fedora would run would not be able to point at or reference a 3rd
party repository at all..which would sort of defeat the point i think.

I've also already had conversations with upstream Mozilla people
concerning enhancing the upstream plugin finder... upstream
contribution is welcome... its just a matter of people working with
them.

I'm not even sure we would need to run a service actually, if a client
side firefox extension could intercept the plugin request and
translate it into a packaging provides to send to packagekit. This is
something to bring up with the packagekit developers.

Regardless of whether this was upstream code or a Fedora specific
extension or service...
someone who cares about this would need to step forward to work on it
or it's not going to go anywhere.

-jef

Old 05-27-2008, 02:00 PM
"Peter Lemenkov"

2008/5/27 Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic@gmail.com>:
> Hi, I must share this report with you.
> I don't use Ubuntu but I installed it on one PC in a lab for students
> and kids to learn using it (we have half Fedora and half Ubuntu lab).
> I opened Firefox and went to www.redhatmagazine.com and immediately I
> got a pop up window with a choice to install Adobe Flash, Swhdec or
> Gnash plugin. I was amazed how well this worked and that I had a
> choice to pick any one plugin that I believe it better.
> I know about Fedora's upstream mentality but I must take my hat to
> Ubuntu devels for making their "Ubuntu plugin service" work great. I
> know that this is what Mozilla should have made but with their track
> for supporting linux isn't the best one. And also I see some projects
> that fedora made and didn't wait for the others but fedora and red hat
> devels made them because they were missing (pulseaudio,
> networkmanager, and lots of others...) so does it make sense to you
> that Fedora makes also "Fedor plugin service" for Fedora 10 or do you
> believe that if it is not in Firefox by default than Fedora should not
> touch it in anyway? Why?
>
> Cheers,

The REAL issues are:

* www.redhatmagazine.com uses flash (ads).
* your Ubuntu box doesn't have AdBlock+ installed. You should set it up.

--
With best regards!

Old 05-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Nicu Buculei

Peter Lemenkov wrote:

I don't use Ubuntu but I installed it on one PC in a lab for students
and kids to learn using it (we have half Fedora and half Ubuntu lab).
I opened Firefox and went to www.redhatmagazine.com and immediately I
got a pop up window with a choice to install Adobe Flash, Swhdec or
Gnash plugin.

The REAL issues are:

* www.redhatmagazine.com uses flash (ads).
* your Ubuntu box doesn't have AdBlock+ installed. You should set it up.

Uh... no!
RHM uses Flash for streaming videos, not for ads. And before you ask,
they provide also OGG Theora versions for those videos.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Richard Hughes

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 03:34 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> I'm not even sure we would need to run a service actually, if a client
> side firefox extension could intercept the plugin request and
> translate it into a packaging provides to send to packagekit. This is
> something to bring up with the packagekit developers.

Sure, it's trivial to add as long as there are rpm virtual provides, for
instance, you could have all three flash packages provide
browser-plugin-flash and then hook this in to PackageKit trivially.

Then you just need to convert the plugin request -> rpm provide and then
just tell PackageKit what provide you want installing. It'll even show
the user a menu with choice if there's more than one package providing
this.

Yell if you are interested making this work.

Richard.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Bill Nottingham

Richard Hughes (hughsient@gmail.com) said:
> Then you just need to convert the plugin request -> rpm provide and then
> just tell PackageKit what provide you want installing. It'll even show
> the user a menu with choice if there's more than one package providing
> this.
>
> Yell if you are interested making this work.

The biggest issue is with things like Flash where we don't control
the packaging.

Bill

Old 05-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Bastien Nocera

> Richard Hughes (hughsient@gmail.com) said:
> > Then you just need to convert the plugin request -> rpm provide and then
> > just tell PackageKit what provide you want installing. It'll even show
> > the user a menu with choice if there's more than one package providing
> > this.
> >
> > Yell if you are interested making this work.
>
> The biggest issue is with things like Flash where we don't control
> the packaging.

I'm sure we could get them to add a few lines of Provides if we asked
nicely... Those don't need to be automated, the Flash plugin only
handles 2 mime-types.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Bastien Nocera

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 13:06 +0200, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> I have a correction, it is called "Plugin finder service" and not
> "Ubuntu plugin service" and here are the screenshots:

The "Plugin finder service" is the only hard bit. With the RPM provides
work Panu is doing (which both Richard and I need), we should be able to
export the plugin's mime-types to the provides.

Adding a UI on top is a matter of some PackageKit UI. We're planning on
doing that for codecs and applications (when you don't have a handler
for a particular mime-type).