Old 05-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Benjamin Lewis

Default Fedora project: making a website with Fedora-Free music

On Tuesday 27 May 2008 10:55:29 Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Today I've been discussing with upstream replacing some non free music with
> Free music, as I need to do often when packaging games (in this case Lost
> Labyrinth).
>
> I have been thinking recently about how convenient it would be to have a
> website where one can browse all known Fedora-Free (as in can be part of
> Fedora under the content Licensing guidelines) music.
>
> The Fedora package collection already contains quite a bit of music. Some
> put in -music packages because its in ogg format and thus quite large, but
> also quite a few modtracker and midi format songs, which are much smaller
> and sometimes even hidden away in .wad / .dat files.
>
> Thus I want to make a website with:
> -Unpacked (as in click on it and it will play) versions of all music
> included in Fedora, sorted by format and license, and preferably also
> catogorised by genre.
>
> -Links to other website which contain all Free, or clearly marked partially
> Free music.
>
> The first website which comes mind for the links section is the
> excellent: http://www.dogmazic.net/
>

> So now I need 2 things
> 1) Free (as in gratis) hosting, with lots of diskspace and potentially
> quite some bandwidth usage.
>
> 2) Someone to help me build the website, the last time I've done php / html
> was in 1999

I would be willing to help with no. 2, although I can't really help with the
hosting as mine is in a state of serious flux atm and really dosn't have
enough diskspace.

--

Benjamin Lewis
Fedora Ambassador - http://fedoraproject.org./

Old 05-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Nicu Buculei

Hans de Goede wrote:
Today I've been discussing with upstream replacing some non free music
with Free music, as I need to do often when packaging games (in this
case Lost Labyrinth).

I have been thinking recently about how convenient it would be to have a
website where one can browse all known Fedora-Free (as in can be part of
Fedora under the content Licensing guidelines) music.

Free enough that we can use also as a soundtrack for screencasts (that's
is, if someone likes game music as sountreact for his screencast)

Or like this http://ccmixter.org/ ?

So now I need 2 things
1) Free (as in gratis) hosting, with lots of diskspace and potentially
quite

some bandwidth usage.

2) Someone to help me build the website, the last time I've done php /
html was

in 1999

How about using ccHost, the software used by (and made for) ccMixter?
The problem is that it may need support for some file formats

Old 05-29-2008, 01:56 PM
"Goede, J.W.R. de"

On Tue, 27 May 2008 14:07:41 +0300
Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro> wrote:
> Hans de Goede wrote:
> > Today I've been discussing with upstream replacing some
> non free music
> > with Free music, as I need to do often when packaging
> games (in this
> > case Lost Labyrinth).
> >
> > I have been thinking recently about how convenient it
> would be to have a
> > website where one can browse all known Fedora-Free (as
> in can be part of
> > Fedora under the content Licensing guidelines) music.
>
> Free enough that we can use also as a soundtrack for
> screencasts (that's is, if someone likes game music as
> sountreact for his screencast)

Was that a question or a remark? In case it was a question,
yes they should be free enough, although you might need to
put some atrtribution in the begin / end titles for
attribution.

> > -Links to other website which contain all Free, or
> clearly marked partially
> > Free music.
> >
> > The first website which comes mind for the links
> section is the excellent:
> > http://www.dogmazic.net/
>
> Or like this http://ccmixter.org/ ?

That would be an interesting site for the links section
too, yes.

> How about using ccHost, the software used by (and made
> for) ccMixter? The problem is that it may need support
> for some file formats

I dunno, ccmixter looks rather more convoluted / harder to
navigate then I would want this site to look.

Regards,

Hans

Old 05-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Hans de Goede

Benjamin Lewis wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind if / when I get this project from
the ground.

Regards,

Hans