Old 05-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Andrew Overholt

Default F9 Live USB IO Errors

* Andrew Overholt <overholt@redhat.com> [2008-05-26 09:54]:

> I've made some live USB sticks with persistent overlays for a few
> people. 3 of the people have now told me that they can no longer boot
> as they get IO errors with what looks like corrupted filesystems.

2 of the 3 have now confirmed for me that they hit hard lockups while
running and had to hard-reboot their machines. Afterwards, they could
not re-boot from the USB stick.

Andrew

Old 05-26-2008, 02:54 PM
"Thibault North"

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 4:26 PM, Mary Ellen Foster <foster@in.tum.de> wrote:
> 2008/5/26 Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro>:
>>> I've made some live USB sticks with persistent overlays for a few
>>> people. 3 of the people have now told me that they can no longer boot
>>> as they get IO errors with what looks like corrupted filesystems. Has
>>> this happened to anyone else? The USB sticks were a variety of 1 GB and
>>> 2 GB models from various manufacturers and I've never had any issues
>>> with them before.
>>
>> Well, it happened to me, but after I pressed the "reset" button while doing
>> a massive yum install (the computer was frozen while playing with Compiz
>> during the install). (as a matter of fact, that happened to me twice, don't
>> remember why I used reset the second time).
>
> That happened once, and I assumed I'd overrun the size of the overlay
> -- didn't investigate further. Is there a check of any sort to make
> sure you don't overflow? There didn't used to be in the livecd-to-iso
> installer, and that would certainly corrupt file systems ...

Also happend to me. Freezed while updating. I Ctrl+C and rebooted, but
unable to restart.
There was place remaining on the disk.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Douglas McClendon

Andrew Overholt wrote:

* Andrew Overholt <overholt@redhat.com> [2008-05-26 09:54]:

I've made some live USB sticks with persistent overlays for a few
people. 3 of the people have now told me that they can no longer boot
as they get IO errors with what looks like corrupted filesystems.

2 of the 3 have now confirmed for me that they hit hard lockups while
running and had to hard-reboot their machines. Afterwards, they could
not re-boot from the USB stick.

Andrew

Well known nature of the feature. See a post of mine on fedora-livecd-list

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-livecd-list/2008-May/msg00051.html

I've suggested several times over the last 6 months that this issue be
well documented to set expectations appropriately.

-dmc/jdog

Old 05-27-2008, 02:25 AM
Chuck Anderson

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 12:30:54PM -0700, Douglas McClendon wrote:
> Andrew Overholt wrote:
>> * Andrew Overholt <overholt@redhat.com> [2008-05-26 09:54]:
>>> I've made some live USB sticks with persistent overlays for a few
>>> people. 3 of the people have now told me that they can no longer boot
>>> as they get IO errors with what looks like corrupted filesystems.
>>
>> 2 of the 3 have now confirmed for me that they hit hard lockups while
>> running and had to hard-reboot their machines. Afterwards, they could
>> not re-boot from the USB stick.
>>
>> Andrew
>
> Well known nature of the feature. See a post of mine on fedora-livecd-list
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-livecd-list/2008-May/msg00051.html
>
> I've suggested several times over the last 6 months that this issue be
> well documented to set expectations appropriately.

I don't understand how it could corrupt the UNDERLYING vfat partition,
but that is what happend to me twice. I was unable to mount the USB
stick as a normal vfat data drive from a regular (non-Live) booted
system after filling and crashing the persistent overlay when it was
booted as a Live USB system. It seems there is a vfat bug that is
corrupting the filesystem.

Tue May 27 06:30:01 2008