Old 05-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Andrew Overholt

Default F9 Live USB IO Errors

Hi,

I've made some live USB sticks with persistent overlays for a few
people. 3 of the people have now told me that they can no longer boot
as they get IO errors with what looks like corrupted filesystems. Has
this happened to anyone else? The USB sticks were a variety of 1 GB and
2 GB models from various manufacturers and I've never had any issues
with them before.

I created the sticks like so:

sudo livecd-iso-to-disk --reset-mbr
--overlay-size-mb <1000 or 200 or whatever>
Fedora-9-i686-Live.iso /dev/sdb1

Andrew

Old 05-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Nicu Buculei

Andrew Overholt wrote:

Hi,

I've made some live USB sticks with persistent overlays for a few
people. 3 of the people have now told me that they can no longer boot
as they get IO errors with what looks like corrupted filesystems. Has
this happened to anyone else? The USB sticks were a variety of 1 GB and
2 GB models from various manufacturers and I've never had any issues
with them before.

Well, it happened to me, but after I pressed the "reset" button while
doing a massive yum install (the computer was frozen while playing with
Compiz during the install). (as a matter of fact, that happened to me
twice, don't remember why I used reset the second time).

And I had some strange IO errors in another occasion (at the F9 Release
Party, gave a KDE4 stick to people to play with it, after a while the
GUI was frozen, Ctrl+Alt+F1 to a text terminal showed some IO errors,
didn't get the time to see if it still boots)

Old 05-26-2008, 02:26 PM
"Mary Ellen Foster"

2008/5/26 Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro>:
>> I've made some live USB sticks with persistent overlays for a few
>> people. 3 of the people have now told me that they can no longer boot
>> as they get IO errors with what looks like corrupted filesystems. Has
>> this happened to anyone else? The USB sticks were a variety of 1 GB and
>> 2 GB models from various manufacturers and I've never had any issues
>> with them before.
>
> Well, it happened to me, but after I pressed the "reset" button while doing
> a massive yum install (the computer was frozen while playing with Compiz
> during the install). (as a matter of fact, that happened to me twice, don't
> remember why I used reset the second time).

That happened once, and I assumed I'd overrun the size of the overlay
-- didn't investigate further. Is there a check of any sort to make
sure you don't overflow? There didn't used to be in the livecd-to-iso
installer, and that would certainly corrupt file systems ...

MEF

--
Mary Ellen Foster -- http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mef/
Informatik 6: Robotics and Embedded Systems, Technische Universität München