FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-23-2008, 09:36 PM
"Colin Walters"
 
Default Packaging Firefox extensions (Finnish spell checking)

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 5:17 PM, Ville-Pekka Vainio
<vpivaini@cs.helsinki.fi> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been packaging Finnish spell checking support for Fedora (see
> http://voikko.sourceforge.net/) and now I've packaged a Firefox extension
> which uses the Voikko library to do spell checking in Finnish. My initial
> testing package can be found here:
> http://vpv.fedorapeople.org/packages/mozvoikko/
>
> What do you think about packaging Firefox extensions, are they allowed and
> would someone be interested in reviewing this package if I submitted it?

It's fine, see also the mugshot package for use of the
system-installed extensions standard. I haven't looked at the Beagle
extension but hopefully it's doing the right thing.

The main thing lacking is integration of the addon dialog and PackageKit.

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-24-2008, 07:34 AM
Ville-Pekka Vainio
 
Default Packaging Firefox extensions (Finnish spell checking)

Colin Walters wrote:
> It's fine, see also the mugshot package for use of the
> system-installed extensions standard. I haven't looked at the Beagle
> extension but hopefully it's doing the right thing.

Ok, I did. Both of these packages seem to do the same thing, they have their
files in %{_libdir}/mozilla/extensions/%{firefox_app_id}/%{mugshot_ext_id} or
something similar.

> The main thing lacking is integration of the addon dialog and PackageKit.

I don't quite understand what you mean. If the firefox-voikko package passes
review, I plan to have it in the Fedora repositories just like any other
package. I don't really see what PackageKit specifically has to do with that.
The addon dialog "just works", when you install the RPM, Firefox detects the
new extension files and opens up the addon dialog when (re)started.


--
Ville-Pekka Vainio

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-24-2008, 02:51 PM
Ville-Pekka Vainio
 
Default Packaging Firefox extensions (Finnish spell checking)

To get the ball rolling, I have made a review request of firefox-voikko, which
is here: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=448215

Literally during the same minute that I posted the RR, upstream released a new
version, so the spec and SRPM are actually outdated, but I will go and make
an updated package now.


--
Ville-Pekka Vainio

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Christopher Aillon
 
Default Packaging Firefox extensions (Finnish spell checking)

On 05/23/2008 05:17 PM, Ville-Pekka Vainio wrote:

Hi all,

I've been packaging Finnish spell checking support for Fedora (see
http://voikko.sourceforge.net/) and now I've packaged a Firefox extension
which uses the Voikko library to do spell checking in Finnish. My initial
testing package can be found here:
http://vpv.fedorapeople.org/packages/mozvoikko/


Is there a reason the dictionary can't be integrated into hunspell? I
don't want to get to the point where we have an extension for every
language spellcheck. Hunspell exists to make this easier, and I'd
rather see this happen there...


--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Ville-Pekka Vainio
 
Default Packaging Firefox extensions (Finnish spell checking)

Christopher Aillon wrote:
> Is there a reason the dictionary can't be integrated into hunspell? I
> don't want to get to the point where we have an extension for every
> language spellcheck. Hunspell exists to make this easier, and I'd
> rather see this happen there...

The Voikko project initially started as the hunspell-fi project, but hunspell
was dropped for now, because using malaga
<http://home.arcor.de/bjoern-beutel/malaga/> gives better results with the
Finnish language. If you're interested, please read
<http://voikko.sourceforge.net/architecture.html>. One big decision maker was
also the fact that someone called Hannu Väisänen maintains a big Finnish
vocabulary known upstream as suomi-malaga, in Fedora packaged as
malaga-suomi-voikko. This, as the name suggests, requires using malaga.

Voikko gives excellent results with the Finnish language currently, much
better than any other free software implementations (myspell/ispell/aspell
and hunspell, whose upstreams are practically non-existent currently). In my
opinion Voikko is now working at least as well as the only proprietary
Finnish spell checker for Linux I know, Soikko. So it's pretty much the best
you can get.

There are less than 10 people working on Voikko right now, probably more like
5 and they're doing a great job. You do have a valid point, but I really
don't see the architechture changing to hunspell or any other in the near
future.

Remember we don't need to have the Voikko stuff in every Fedora installation,
for example the openoffice.org-voikko package is currently only installed if
the user installs OO.o and the Finnish language support group.


--
Ville-Pekka Vainio

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Christopher Aillon
 
Default Packaging Firefox extensions (Finnish spell checking)

On 05/24/2008 12:04 PM, Ville-Pekka Vainio wrote:
The Voikko project initially started as the hunspell-fi project, but hunspell
was dropped for now, because using malaga
<http://home.arcor.de/bjoern-beutel/malaga/> gives better results with the
Finnish language. If you're interested, please read
<http://voikko.sourceforge.net/architecture.html>.


Actually, that page says the malaga backend is worse than hunspell,
lacking important items such as threadsafety and does not perform well
in comparison. We already have a backend which we deem to be the right
backend and it would be great if work could be moved there to help get
hunspell in order.


One big decision maker was
also the fact that someone called Hannu Väisänen maintains a big Finnish
vocabulary known upstream as suomi-malaga, in Fedora packaged as
malaga-suomi-voikko. This, as the name suggests, requires using malaga.


Right, this is the only reason that I can tell for using malaga.
Someone did the work for malaga, but not for hunspell.


Voikko gives excellent results with the Finnish language currently, much
better than any other free software implementations (myspell/ispell/aspell
and hunspell, whose upstreams are practically non-existent currently). In my
opinion Voikko is now working at least as well as the only proprietary
Finnish spell checker for Linux I know, Soikko. So it's pretty much the best
you can get.


Don't confuse the dictionary with the backend. So far I haven't seen a
reason why the hunspell backend couldn't support Finnish as well as
malaga if people would simply work on a dictionary for that backend
instead. I think it is important to note our strong desire for making it
work with hunspell. We went through great lengths to make hunspell THE
dictionary. See
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureDictionary which this
would now regress.


--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Ville-Pekka Vainio
 
Default Packaging Firefox extensions (Finnish spell checking)

Christopher Aillon wrote:
> Don't confuse the dictionary with the backend. So far I haven't seen a
> reason why the hunspell backend couldn't support Finnish as well as
> malaga if people would simply work on a dictionary for that backend
> instead. I think it is important to note our strong desire for making it
> work with hunspell. We went through great lengths to make hunspell THE
> dictionary. See
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureDictionary which this
> would now regress.

Noted, I can also mention this discussion in the Voikko mailing list. I wasn't
even following the Voikko project at 2006 when this decision was apparently
made, I also don't know the code well enough to discuss the differences in
detail.

I know about FeatureDictionary and I have talked about Voikko, which is
already in Fedora anyway, with Caolan, among others. At this point the thing
is though, either we have very good Finnish spell checking in Fedora with
Voikko or we don't have any Finnish spell checking at all.

Right now, as far as I can see, the Voikko project is lacking manpower for
such drastic changes as changing the backend. They are doing a good job
improving the current codebase in small steps, however.


--
Ville-Pekka Vainio

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:09 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org