FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Bill Nottingham
 
Default libflashsupport

Rahul Sundaram (sundaram@fedoraproject.org) said:
> It seems libflashsupport was dropped out of the default package list in
> Fedora 9 and I didn't see any public discussion on the reasons behind this
> change (release notes didn't get updated either until recently
> unfortunately) Can someone familiar with this change explain the reason?

Check the FESCo logs... general reasoning is that it existed solely
as a crutch for third-party software, IIRC.

Bill

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Bastien Nocera
 
Default libflashsupport

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 16:51 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram (sundaram@fedoraproject.org) said:
> > It seems libflashsupport was dropped out of the default package list in
> > Fedora 9 and I didn't see any public discussion on the reasons behind this
> > change (release notes didn't get updated either until recently
> > unfortunately) Can someone familiar with this change explain the reason?
>
> Check the FESCo logs... general reasoning is that it existed solely
> as a crutch for third-party software, IIRC.

And I'm sure the people who came up with that idea made sure to nicely
ask Adobe to make their Flash plugins depend on it. Or explained to them
what that tool did so they can fix their software.

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-23-2008, 11:54 PM
Lennart Poettering
 
Default libflashsupport

On Sat, 24.05.08 00:34, Bastien Nocera (bnocera@redhat.com) wrote:

>
> On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 16:51 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Rahul Sundaram (sundaram@fedoraproject.org) said:
> > > It seems libflashsupport was dropped out of the default package list in
> > > Fedora 9 and I didn't see any public discussion on the reasons behind this
> > > change (release notes didn't get updated either until recently
> > > unfortunately) Can someone familiar with this change explain the reason?
> >
> > Check the FESCo logs... general reasoning is that it existed solely
> > as a crutch for third-party software, IIRC.
>
> And I'm sure the people who came up with that idea made sure to nicely
> ask Adobe to make their Flash plugins depend on it. Or explained to them
> what that tool did so they can fix their software.

Adobe Flash 10 doesn't need libflashsupport anymore to work fine on
ALSA ioplug-based backends such as pulse.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering Red Hat, Inc.
lennart [at] poettering [dot] net ICQ# 11060553
http://0pointer.net/lennart/ GnuPG 0x1A015CC4

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-24-2008, 12:11 AM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams
 
Default libflashsupport

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 01:54 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Adobe Flash 10 doesn't need libflashsupport anymore to work fine on
> ALSA ioplug-based backends such as pulse.

Presumably it's still needed for SSL and V4L though.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazqueznet@gmail.com>

PLEASE don't CC me; I'm already subscribed
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-24-2008, 12:13 AM
"Dr. Diesel"
 
Default libflashsupport

Where do you get Flash 10 for linux?

2008/5/23 Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazqueznet@gmail.com>:
> On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 01:54 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> Adobe Flash 10 doesn't need libflashsupport anymore to work fine on
>> ALSA ioplug-based backends such as pulse.
>
> Presumably it's still needed for SSL and V4L though.
>
> --
> Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazqueznet@gmail.com>
>
> PLEASE don't CC me; I'm already subscribed
>
> --
> fedora-devel-list mailing list
> fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
>



--
projecthuh.com
All of my bits are free, are yours? Fedoraproject.org

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-24-2008, 12:18 AM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams
 
Default libflashsupport

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 20:13 -0400, Dr. Diesel wrote:
> Where do you get Flash 10 for linux?

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazqueznet@gmail.com>

PLEASE don't CC me; I'm already subscribed
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-24-2008, 12:24 AM
Lennart Poettering
 
Default libflashsupport

On Fri, 23.05.08 20:11, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams (ivazqueznet@gmail.com) wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 01:54 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Adobe Flash 10 doesn't need libflashsupport anymore to work fine on
> > ALSA ioplug-based backends such as pulse.
>
> Presumably it's still needed for SSL and V4L though.

Flash comes internally with support for SSL, V4L and ALSA. The only
reason I hacked up libflashsupport is to add PulseAudio support. I
never touched the SSL/V4L part of libflashsupport however. And for
Flash 10 we don't need specific Pulse support anymore, since they
fixed the way they are using the ALSA API. And hence we don't need
libflashsupport at all anymore, and let Flash use SSL, V4L and ALSA
directly again.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering Red Hat, Inc.
lennart [at] poettering [dot] net ICQ# 11060553
http://0pointer.net/lennart/ GnuPG 0x1A015CC4

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Bastien Nocera
 
Default libflashsupport

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 01:54 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Sat, 24.05.08 00:34, Bastien Nocera (bnocera@redhat.com) wrote:
>
> >
> > On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 16:51 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > > Rahul Sundaram (sundaram@fedoraproject.org) said:
> > > > It seems libflashsupport was dropped out of the default package list in
> > > > Fedora 9 and I didn't see any public discussion on the reasons behind this
> > > > change (release notes didn't get updated either until recently
> > > > unfortunately) Can someone familiar with this change explain the reason?
> > >
> > > Check the FESCo logs... general reasoning is that it existed solely
> > > as a crutch for third-party software, IIRC.
> >
> > And I'm sure the people who came up with that idea made sure to nicely
> > ask Adobe to make their Flash plugins depend on it. Or explained to them
> > what that tool did so they can fix their software.
>
> Adobe Flash 10 doesn't need libflashsupport anymore to work fine on
> ALSA ioplug-based backends such as pulse.

Good stuff then. Thanks.

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-24-2008, 01:17 PM
"Jonathan Underwood"
 
Default libflashsupport

2008/5/24 Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@0pointer.de>:
> Adobe Flash 10 doesn't need libflashsupport anymore to work fine on
> ALSA ioplug-based backends such as pulse.

Empirically I installed flash in a F-9 fresh install and had no sound
in flash. I then installed libflashsupport, and got sound. The user
mailing list is similarly full of similar discussions.

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-27-2008, 10:28 AM
"Valent Turkovic"
 
Default libflashsupport

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 1:54 AM, Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung@0pointer.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 24.05.08 00:34, Bastien Nocera (bnocera@redhat.com) wrote:
>
>>
>> On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 16:51 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> > Rahul Sundaram (sundaram@fedoraproject.org) said:
>> > > It seems libflashsupport was dropped out of the default package list in
>> > > Fedora 9 and I didn't see any public discussion on the reasons behind this
>> > > change (release notes didn't get updated either until recently
>> > > unfortunately) Can someone familiar with this change explain the reason?
>> >
>> > Check the FESCo logs... general reasoning is that it existed solely
>> > as a crutch for third-party software, IIRC.
>>
>> And I'm sure the people who came up with that idea made sure to nicely
>> ask Adobe to make their Flash plugins depend on it. Or explained to them
>> what that tool did so they can fix their software.
>
> Adobe Flash 10 doesn't need libflashsupport anymore to work fine on
> ALSA ioplug-based backends such as pulse.
>
> Lennart

Current version of Flash 10 doesn't work with Firefox under linux.

Cheers,
Valent.


--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
linux, blog, anime, spirituality, windsurf, wireless
registered as user #367004 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:35 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org