Old 05-23-2008, 12:26 AM
Brian Pepple

Default Packager Sponsors Responsibility Policy

Hi all,

I'm looking for some feedback on what we've got so far for the Packager
Sponsors Responsibility Policy.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Schedule/SponsorResponsibilityPolicy

---
== Who are Packager Sponsors? ===
Packager Sponsors are maintainers that have a good record of maintaining
packages, doing reviews and assisting others with the processes and
procedures of Fedora. Sponsors act as mentors for new contributors to
help point them to areas they would like to contribute, assist them with
processes and procedures and assist them when they need general
guidance. Sponsors also are responsible for fixing mistakes made by
their sponsored maintainers if they are unable to do so. Every Fedora
package maintainer should have a sponsor.

== Make sure the maintainers you sponsor follow guidelines ==
Sponsors should try and keep up with the doings of their sponsored
maintainers. Bugzilla has the ability to let you know via email all
activity for a given address. Initial sponsored maintainers should have
more scrutiny than long established maintainers with a known record of
good efforts.

== Help answer maintainers questions ==
Sponsors should be available to their sponsored maintainers to answer
questions. It's up to the sponsor if they wish to be available via IRC,
email, bugzilla, mailing list posts, phone or the like. In the event a
sponsor is unable to answer a question, they should escalate it to the
appropriate list, FESCO, FAB or the like and get an answer passed back.

== Fix issues caused by sponsored maintainers ==
If one of your sponsored maintainers is unable to fix an issue in their
package(s), it's up to the sponsor to step in and make the needed fixes.
This might include pushing a security update when the maintainer is
unavailable, applying a patch, removing a improperly build package, or
other time or security sensitive issue. Note that the maintainer should
be shown the fix and how to manage the issue moving forward.

== Revoking Sponsorship ==
A sponsor may elect to revoke their sponsorship of a maintainer in rare
and extreme situations. These situations might include: A maintainer
that no longer wishes to contribute to Fedora, a maintainer that refuses
to follow guidelines, or irreconcilable differences between the
maintainer and the Sponsor. In this event it is the responsibility of
the Sponsor to orphan the maintainers packages, and do any other needed
cleanups.

== Sponsorship Duration ==
Sponsorship of a maintainer begins when the Sponsor approves them in the
Fedora Account System. Sponsorship of a maintainer ends when that
sponsorship is revoked, or when that maintainer themselves becomes a
Sponsor.

== Who Sponsors the Sponsors? ==
Once a maintainer has been granted sponsorship status (via a vote of
FESCO), that Sponsor will be held accountable by FESCO, and not their
previous Sponsor.

---

If there is anything you feel is missing, or could be explained better,
please reply to this thread (along with any suggested wording).

Thanks,
/B

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BrianPepple
BD5E 6F9E 8688 E668 8F5B CBDE 326A E936 810C C15E

Old 05-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Patrice Dumas

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 08:26:38PM -0400, Brian Pepple wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for some feedback on what we've got so far for the Packager
> Sponsors Responsibility Policy.
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Schedule/SponsorResponsibilityPolicy

Overall looks good. There are some technicall bits missing to help
sponsors monitor the sponsored people.

> == Make sure the maintainers you sponsor follow guidelines ==
> Sponsors should try and keep up with the doings of their sponsored
> maintainers. Bugzilla has the ability to let you know via email all
> activity for a given address. Initial sponsored maintainers should have
> more scrutiny than long established maintainers with a known record of
> good efforts.

Here, it would be nice to have an example of how to achieve the
'Bugzilla has the ability to let you know via email all activity for a
given address.'

> == Fix issues caused by sponsored maintainers ==
> If one of your sponsored maintainers is unable to fix an issue in their
> package(s), it's up to the sponsor to step in and make the needed fixes.
> This might include pushing a security update when the maintainer is
> unavailable, applying a patch, removing a improperly build package, or
> other time or security sensitive issue. Note that the maintainer should
> be shown the fix and how to manage the issue moving forward.

There are many technical issues here. It would be nice if a sponsor
could be in initialCC/Watchcommit/commit for all the packages of a
sponsored person (and not by package), without needing a manual intervention
from the sponsored person, and such that the sponsored person cannot revoke
it. Also it should be easy to give up with those acls when the sponsor
thinks that the sponsored person is competent enough.

> == Revoking Sponsorship ==
> A sponsor may elect to revoke their sponsorship of a maintainer in rare
> and extreme situations. These situations might include: A maintainer
> that no longer wishes to contribute to Fedora, a maintainer that refuses
> to follow guidelines, or irreconcilable differences between the
> maintainer and the Sponsor. In this event it is the responsibility of
> the Sponsor to orphan the maintainers packages, and do any other needed
> cleanups.

I think that it should be stated that it always have to be explained to
FESCo.

--
Pat

Old 05-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Fri, 23 May 2008 15:28:21 +0200
pertusus@free.fr (Patrice Dumas) wrote:

> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 08:26:38PM -0400, Brian Pepple wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm looking for some feedback on what we've got so far for the
> > Packager Sponsors Responsibility Policy.
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Schedule/SponsorResponsibilityPolicy
>
> Overall looks good. There are some technicall bits missing to help
> sponsors monitor the sponsored people.

Agreed.

> > == Make sure the maintainers you sponsor follow guidelines ==
> > Sponsors should try and keep up with the doings of their sponsored
> > maintainers. Bugzilla has the ability to let you know via email all
> > activity for a given address. Initial sponsored maintainers should
> > have more scrutiny than long established maintainers with a known
> > record of good efforts.
>
> Here, it would be nice to have an example of how to achieve the
> 'Bugzilla has the ability to let you know via email all activity for a
> given address.'

- Login to bugzilla.redhat.com with your account.
- Click the 'account' button at the top.
- Click the 'email' tab.
- Enter a , delimited list of users email address(es) in the 'users to
watch' text entry box.
- Click 'submit changes'

> > == Fix issues caused by sponsored maintainers ==
> > If one of your sponsored maintainers is unable to fix an issue in
> > their package(s), it's up to the sponsor to step in and make the
> > needed fixes. This might include pushing a security update when the
> > maintainer is unavailable, applying a patch, removing a improperly
> > build package, or other time or security sensitive issue. Note that
> > the maintainer should be shown the fix and how to manage the issue
> > moving forward.
>
> There are many technical issues here. It would be nice if a sponsor
> could be in initialCC/Watchcommit/commit for all the packages of a
> sponsored person (and not by package), without needing a manual
> intervention from the sponsored person, and such that the sponsored
> person cannot revoke it. Also it should be easy to give up with those
> acls when the sponsor thinks that the sponsored person is competent
> enough.

Yeah, that would be nice. Pkgdb enhancement it sounds like...
could you file it?

> > == Revoking Sponsorship ==
> > A sponsor may elect to revoke their sponsorship of a maintainer in
> > rare and extreme situations. These situations might include: A
> > maintainer that no longer wishes to contribute to Fedora, a
> > maintainer that refuses to follow guidelines, or irreconcilable
> > differences between the maintainer and the Sponsor. In this event
> > it is the responsibility of the Sponsor to orphan the maintainers
> > packages, and do any other needed cleanups.
>
> I think that it should be stated that it always have to be explained
> to FESCo.

I think thats a good idea... at that point someone may be able to step
in and work with the maintainer and take over sponsorship (in those
cases where it's just personal differences that are driving the sponsor
to not want to continue with that maintainer).

kevin

Old 05-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

Kevin Fenzi wrote:

[...]

Just a note: This would be a large change to the packagedb. If someone
wants to spearhead implementation of it, let me know and I'll outline
some of the changes that will need to be made.

-Toshio

Old 05-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Brian Pepple

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 15:28 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 08:26:38PM -0400, Brian Pepple wrote:
> > I'm looking for some feedback on what we've got so far for the Packager
> > Sponsors Responsibility Policy.
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Schedule/SponsorResponsibilityPolicy
>
> Overall looks good. There are some technicall bits missing to help
> sponsors monitor the sponsored people.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll incorporate them into the policy.

Later,