Old 05-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Bill Nottingham

Default What ever happened to "Stateless Linux"?

Phil Regier (pregier@ittc.ku.edu) said:
> It would appear that the guides which popped up at the time of the FC6-FC7
> transition have gone more or less defunct since then:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/StatelessLinux
>
> It would also seem that the URLs referenced by the above under
>
> http://people.redhat.com/~law/
>
> have not been updated since FC7. What is the current stated of Stateless
> development under Fedora and related distributions? Have the specialized
> tools been deprecated with no replacement, or are there new tools to fill
> any possible gaps?

We have readonly-root support, for local filesystems, NFS, and iSCSI.
For things like management and deployment, there are tools like cobbler
and puppet, but there's not a specific integrated infrastructure.

Bill

Old 05-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Phil Regier

I forgot to CC the list on the last message, so in case anyone else is
interested, this did work quite well after a little local tweaking.

It may or may not be interesting to note that anaconda under Fedora 9
failed to run to completion from the command line, but it worked very
well under 8.

Thanks again, Bill!

Phil

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Phil Regier (pregier@ittc.ku.edu) said:
Great; thanks! All I'm looking for is simple readonly-root with no
management/deployment needed; should I (theoretically) just be able to hack
my way through the old CreateClientImage guide with any recent Fedora
release, then, and just boot the results with an existing pxelinux server,
ignoring the old StatelessServer RPM for the most part?

Just set up your filesystem (with whatever method) and set READONLY=yes
in /etc/sysconfig/readonly-root

Bill

Old 05-23-2008, 05:12 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 9:30 AM, Phil Regier <pregier@ittc.ku.edu> wrote:
> I forgot to CC the list on the last message, so in case anyone else is
> interested, this did work quite well after a little local tweaking.
>
> It may or may not be interesting to note that anaconda under Fedora 9 failed
> to run to completion from the command line, but it worked very well under 8.
>
> Thanks again, Bill!

A secondary question is what do people need stateless linux to do?
What are the places it is useful and how can it be built to do that? A
sort of 10 things that can be hacked on and checked off.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux

Old 05-23-2008, 05:55 PM
Phil Regier

I'm not entirely sure I follow. If you're looking to justify a
perception of broad interest, I probably won't be able to offer much on
that front.

For my current purposes, the idea is to be able to to run a full
GNU/Linux environment on top of a machine that has a simple system
already installed without touching the system as it's installed on disk,
in this particular case for testing/running third-party imaging software
(not my idea) with no hardware reconfiguration.

Another benefit is speed; it's hard to match (estimated) 60 seconds from
bare metal to full-fledged init 3 (init 5 if you want to spend the time
setting it up) when you're in a hurry and don't have time to re-load a
machine.

I also seem to recall there being a time when smartctl was not available
from rescue mode, but it looks like that concern is obsolete (may have
been for a long time now). Even so, from time to time there's something
I need to do to recover a failing system that I can't quite seem to do
from a rescue shell.

So the only benefit that I see in this case that would apply to the
Fedora world at large is just the instant-provisioning aspect, which
probably is or will be subsumed by a more general set of functionality,
such as <shudder> cobbler.

See anything of potentially real value here?

Phil