Old 05-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Thorsten Leemhuis

Default vanilla-kernel

On 22.05.2008 10:37, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

Le Jeu 22 mai 2008 10:24, Thorsten Leemhuis a écrit :

Dave, what's the status of the "precompiled vanilla kernel rpms" for
Fedora?

It would be mightily useful to have regular pre-built vanilla and
linux-next fedora rpms available in a well-known repo. Often one
reports kernel bugs, and then upstream asks vanilla/linux-next
re-tests when you do not have a few free hours to invest in a custom
kernel rebuild (yes it can be a few hours when you have to figure what
changed in kernel build procedures upstream and what changed in the
fedora kernel spec during the same period)

+1 -- the reasons why it's good to have one where in fact discussed
months ago and there was an agreement to ship them somewhere (¹) --
that's why I didn't mention the reasons again in my mail ;-)

But you bring up another good point: having linux-next available as well
a pre-compiled rpm might be a nice to have as well -- Andrew iirc some
weeks ago expressed that he would like to see something like that.

Sure, -next is not of use for many people, but for some people (like me)
it might be a "okay, if I get them pre-compiled I'll test them as it's
way easier to do so". Of course if errors show up everything gets more
complicated when it comes to debugging -- but that's imho not a reasons
not to ship a -next RPM.

CU
knurd

(¹) -- which never happened afaik, hence my mail