-   -   Shifting mount points for drives (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/91645-shifting-mount-points-drives.html)

Paul 05-20-2008 11:35 AM

Shifting mount points for drives

Hi,

I'm not sure if this needs to be filed as a bug and if it is, what
component to shove it under!

My machine has 4 HDDs, 3 DVDs (one is a CDRW, one is a DVD, one is a
DVDRW), an internal zip and a floppy with card reader.

/dev/sda and /dev/sdb are both on the motherboard IDE
/dev/sdc and /dev/sdd (DVDRW and DVD/CDRW) are on the motherboard
secondary IDE

I have an IDE card in my machine as well which has the zip & DVD on one
channel and the other two hard drives on the other channel. The Zip is
set as master, DVD as secondary on their channel.

For some reason, the two HDDs keep getting shifted in their drive
numbers. If I have in /etc/fstab

/dev/sde1 /mp3
/dev/sdf1 /web

then things should be happy. But they're not. When I reboot, there is a
good change that they will be /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdd1 or /dev/sdf1
and /dev/sdg1 but it's rare that they're /dev/sde1 and /dev/sdf1.

If I comment them out of fstab, then when I come to mount them, they are
*always* /dev/sde1 and /dev/sdf1

Any clues as to why this would be?

TTFN

Paul

"Jon Ciesla" 05-20-2008 12:08 PM

Shifting mount points for drives

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if this needs to be filed as a bug and if it is, what
> component to shove it under!
>
> My machine has 4 HDDs, 3 DVDs (one is a CDRW, one is a DVD, one is a
> DVDRW), an internal zip and a floppy with card reader.
>
> /dev/sda and /dev/sdb are both on the motherboard IDE
> /dev/sdc and /dev/sdd (DVDRW and DVD/CDRW) are on the motherboard
> secondary IDE
>
> I have an IDE card in my machine as well which has the zip & DVD on one
> channel and the other two hard drives on the other channel. The Zip is
> set as master, DVD as secondary on their channel.
>
> For some reason, the two HDDs keep getting shifted in their drive
> numbers. If I have in /etc/fstab
>
> /dev/sde1 /mp3
> /dev/sdf1 /web
>
> then things should be happy. But they're not. When I reboot, there is a
> good change that they will be /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdd1 or /dev/sdf1
> and /dev/sdg1 but it's rare that they're /dev/sde1 and /dev/sdf1.
>
> If I comment them out of fstab, then when I come to mount them, they are
> *always* /dev/sde1 and /dev/sdf1
>
> Any clues as to why this would be?

No, but the best solution is to have fstab refer to them by label, not
device name. I can't remember when this took effect, the little man on my
shoulder says maybe fc7?

> TTFN
>
> Paul
> --
> Sie können mich aufreizen und wirklich hei? machen!

novus ordo absurdum

"Jeffrey Ollie" 05-20-2008 12:25 PM

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 7:08 AM, Jon Ciesla <limb@jcomserv.net> wrote:

>> For some reason, the two HDDs keep getting shifted in their drive
>> numbers.
>>
>> Any clues as to why this would be?

Because device nodes like /dev/sd* get assigned depending on the order
in which the kernel loads device drivers and in which order the device
drivers discover the drives. The ordering has never been guaranteed
to be the same, it's just much more noticeable now that much more
stuff is hot-pluggable.

> No, but the best solution is to have fstab refer to them by label, not
> device name. I can't remember when this took effect, the little man on my
> shoulder says maybe fc7?

Even better is to refer to drives in fstab by UUID. Labels aren't
unique, which can be a problem if you need to move disks between
different systems. Mounting filesystems by UUID is supposed to happen
by default if you install with F9.

Jeff

Alan Cox 05-20-2008 02:28 PM

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 12:35:50PM +0100, Paul wrote:
> For some reason, the two HDDs keep getting shifted in their drive
> numbers. If I have in /etc/fstab
>
> /dev/sde1 /mp3
> /dev/sdf1 /web

Use labels or UUIDs

> If I comment them out of fstab, then when I come to mount them, they are
> *always* /dev/sde1 and /dev/sdf1
>
> Any clues as to why this would be?

Probably the order module loading is getting triggered. With modern systems
hotplug and hot swappable drives it makes no sense to try and tie device names
to constant places - so we don't.