Old 05-19-2008, 06:35 PM
seth vidal

Default hook into rpm install/update/deletion of any package (for etckeeper)

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 20:31 +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> On Mon May 19 2008, seth vidal wrote:
>
> > You may consider looking at a yum plugin like this one:
> >
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/yum-devel@linux.duke.edu/msg00193.html
> >

> > and modifying it for your needs.
>
> I knew there are yum plugins and etckeeper will probably need one, but it
> would not be enough for me, because I also often install packages via rpm
> when I built them myself.

May I Introduce you to yum install /path/to/some/file.rpm

-sv

Old 05-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Chris Adams

Once upon a time, Till Maas <opensource@till.name> said:
> I knew there are yum plugins and etckeeper will probably need one, but it
> would not be enough for me, because I also often install packages via rpm
> when I built them myself.

You could write a daemon that monitors /etc with inotify. Alternately,
replace rpm with a wrapper script that does your monitoring.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

Old 05-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Jos Vos

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 02:35:27PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:

> May I Introduce you to yum install /path/to/some/file.rpm

s/install/localinstall/, or has this been changed in newer versions?

--
-- Jos Vos <jos@xos.nl>
-- X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV | Phone: +31 20 6938364

Old 05-19-2008, 07:01 PM
seth vidal

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 20:56 +0200, Jos Vos wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 02:35:27PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
>
> > May I Introduce you to yum install /path/to/some/file.rpm
>
> s/install/localinstall/, or has this been changed in newer versions?

it's been that way for quite a while ,actually.

install will look at the argument and if it looks like a path and the
file exists then it will use it.

-sv

Old 05-19-2008, 07:29 PM
seth vidal

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 21:32 +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> On Mon May 19 2008, seth vidal wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 20:31 +0200, Till Maas wrote:
>
> > > I knew there are yum plugins and etckeeper will probably need one, but it
> > > would not be enough for me, because I also often install packages via rpm
> > > when I built them myself.
> >
> > May I Introduce you to yum install /path/to/some/file.rpm
>
> Thank you, but this way I fear that I install unsigned rpms from a repository
> because my locally built rpms are not signed (otherwise they are broken,
> because rpms does not support the keylength of my gpg key) and therefore
> afaik I had to disable the check for gpg signatures.

no, you don't

yum --nogpgcheck install /path/to/some/file.rpm

OR

you set gpgcheck=0 in yum.conf under [main]

and set gpgcheck=1 in each of your [repo] sections.

That way your repos always default to gpg checking and your local
installs do not.

if you so desired.

-sv

Old 05-19-2008, 09:21 PM
David Lutterkort

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 13:47 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Till Maas <opensource@till.name> said:
> > I knew there are yum plugins and etckeeper will probably need one, but it
> > would not be enough for me, because I also often install packages via rpm
> > when I built them myself.
>
> You could write a daemon that monitors /etc with inotify. Alternately,
> replace rpm with a wrapper script that does your monitoring.

If you want that, cft[1] is your friend - it does exactly what you
suggest.

David

[1] http://cft.et.redhat.com/

Old 05-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Matthew Miller

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 01:47:47PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> > I knew there are yum plugins and etckeeper will probably need one, but it
> > would not be enough for me, because I also often install packages via rpm
> > when I built them myself.
> You could write a daemon that monitors /etc with inotify. Alternately,

Or take a look at incrond, included in fedora already.

--
Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org <http://mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux ------> <http://linux.bu.edu/>