Old 05-19-2008, 06:11 PM
seth vidal

Default hook into rpm install/update/deletion of any package (for etckeeper)

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 20:02 +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> Hiyas,
>
> is it possible to hook into rpm in a way that an arbitray programm is run
> whenever a package is installed, updated or deleted?
>
> I want to test etckeeper:
> http://kitenet.net/~joey/code/etckeeper/
> This programm creates a repository for /etc and keeps track of changes that
> are done there via package updates and therefore it needs to hook into rpm as
> far as I can see. Is it maybe possible to do this with something
> like %trigger?

don't do it in a trigger.

You may consider looking at a yum plugin like this one:

http://www.mail-archive.com/yum-devel@linux.duke.edu/msg00193.html

and modifying it for your needs.
-sv

Old 05-19-2008, 06:16 PM
Jeremy Katz

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 20:02 +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> is it possible to hook into rpm in a way that an arbitray programm is run
> whenever a package is installed, updated or deleted?

Not really. Your best bet is probably going to be to go the route of
using a yum plugin and then remove /usr/lib/rpm/rpm[ie] ;-)

Jeremy

Old 05-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Jos Vos

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 08:02:38PM +0200, Till Maas wrote:

> is it possible to hook into rpm in a way that an arbitray programm is run
> whenever a package is installed, updated or deleted?
>
> I want to test etckeeper:
> http://kitenet.net/~joey/code/etckeeper/
> This programm creates a repository for /etc and keeps track of changes that
> are done there via package updates and therefore it needs to hook into rpm as
> far as I can see. Is it maybe possible to do this with something
> like %trigger?

With %trigger you have to specify the package that fires the trigger.
So, no, that cannot be used to catch all packages, only for packages
for which you create a %trigger (in another package).

--
-- Jos Vos <jos@xos.nl>
-- X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV | Phone: +31 20 6938364