-   -   hook into rpm install/update/deletion of any package (for etckeeper) (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/91151-hook-into-rpm-install-update-deletion-any-package-etckeeper.html)

Till Maas 05-19-2008 06:02 PM

hook into rpm install/update/deletion of any package (for etckeeper)

Hiyas,

is it possible to hook into rpm in a way that an arbitray programm is run
whenever a package is installed, updated or deleted?

I want to test etckeeper:
http://kitenet.net/~joey/code/etckeeper/
This programm creates a repository for /etc and keeps track of changes that
are done there via package updates and therefore it needs to hook into rpm as
far as I can see. Is it maybe possible to do this with something
like %trigger?

Regards,
Till

Till Maas 05-19-2008 06:31 PM

On Mon May 19 2008, seth vidal wrote:

> You may consider looking at a yum plugin like this one:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/yum-devel@linux.duke.edu/msg00193.html
>

> and modifying it for your needs.

I knew there are yum plugins and etckeeper will probably need one, but it
would not be enough for me, because I also often install packages via rpm
when I built them myself.

Regards,
Till

Till Maas 05-19-2008 07:32 PM

hook into rpm install/update/deletion of any package (for etckeeper)

On Mon May 19 2008, seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 20:31 +0200, Till Maas wrote:

> > I knew there are yum plugins and etckeeper will probably need one, but it
> > would not be enough for me, because I also often install packages via rpm
> > when I built them myself.
>
> May I Introduce you to yum install /path/to/some/file.rpm :)

Thank you, but this way I fear that I install unsigned rpms from a repository
because my locally built rpms are not signed (otherwise they are broken,
because rpms does not support the keylength of my gpg key) and therefore
afaik I had to disable the check for gpg signatures.

Regards,
Till

Todd Zullinger 05-19-2008 07:42 PM

Till Maas wrote:
> Thank you, but this way I fear that I install unsigned rpms from a
> repository because my locally built rpms are not signed (otherwise
> they are broken, because rpms does not support the keylength of my
> gpg key) and therefore afaik I had to disable the check for gpg
> signatures.

So no signature is preferable to creating a key of more standard size
for use in signing your custom packages?

Till Maas 05-19-2008 08:12 PM

On Mon May 19 2008, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Till Maas wrote:
> > Thank you, but this way I fear that I install unsigned rpms from a
> > repository because my locally built rpms are not signed (otherwise
> > they are broken, because rpms does not support the keylength of my
> > gpg key) and therefore afaik I had to disable the check for gpg
> > signatures.
>
> So no signature is preferable to creating a key of more standard size
> for use in signing your custom packages?

I can still provide gpg signatures with gpg:
gpg --armor --detach-sign foo.rpm
This also allows the receipient to check the signature without giving my key
ultimate trust for any rpm, which is afaik what happens when someone imports
a gpg key into rpm. Also do not distribute rpms via unsecure channels to my
machines and having a third private gpg key for this without gaining much.

Regards,
Till