Old 05-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Roberto Ragusa

Default F8 -> F9 but keeping KDE3: technically feasible?

Hi all,

do you think it can be possible to upgrade a F8 to F9 with
exclusion of the KDE packages?

My idea would be to keep qt, qt4 and kde* packages from F8,
and upgrade all the rest.
Will I run into serious issues about collateral dependencies,
e.g. pulseaudio<->artsd, NM, misc dbus/hal things, etc...?

What is the best way to attempt such a thing?
Can I run anaconda in a "minimal" mode to upgrade
only the basic stuff and then proceed with yum?
Upgrade F8->F9 exclusively via yum?

Hints kindly accepted.

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 05-20-2008, 09:12 AM
Andrew Farris

Roberto Ragusa wrote:

Hi all,

do you think it can be possible to upgrade a F8 to F9 with
exclusion of the KDE packages?

My idea would be to keep qt, qt4 and kde* packages from F8,
and upgrade all the rest.
Will I run into serious issues about collateral dependencies,
e.g. pulseaudio<->artsd, NM, misc dbus/hal things, etc...?

What is the best way to attempt such a thing?
Can I run anaconda in a "minimal" mode to upgrade
only the basic stuff and then proceed with yum?
Upgrade F8->F9 exclusively via yum?

Hints kindly accepted.

I believe you would have to go about this by running several (maybe many) yum
upgrades separately. There is no good way to get that upgrade done with
anaconda. You would need to construct some careful excludes for those yum
upgrades so it would force those packages, and anything that depend on them, to
get skipped. It probably will not be pretty.. it probably will take you forever
to work through the upgrade.. and it will probably cause lots of packages to
fail for deps. You're going to end up with a hybrid of F8/F9 that might be
mostly F8 (at least as far as the kde apps or anything qt based are concerned
you won't upgrade anything). You might run into issues due to glibc and the gcc
change that will stop you cold, I don't know. Best way to find out is try
running some yum commands without confirming the changes and see what a messy
list of dependency problems you get.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@gmail.com> www.lordmorgul.net
gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB 5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29

Old 05-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Roberto Ragusa

Andrew Farris wrote:

Roberto Ragusa wrote:

[...]

So, anaconda is out of question. This is not too bad, as yum is a
(semi?)official upgrade method and I can have greater control with
yum.

Running yum a lot with excludes etc. doesn't worry me much, as it
usually happens when upgrading because I use many external (and
sometimes fighting) repositories.

Can I reasonably expect binary compatibility for F8 packages
on F9? I hope gcc ABI didn't change drastically.

I think I will try my luck next days; in the worst scenario I will
restore a full backup.
But I'm sadly using the nvidia binary driver on this machine
(Quadro FX 570M) and it looks like neither the binary nor the open
source drivers are an easy path for F9. If I don't find a
good solution for this, attempting the F9+KDE3 mess becomes
less attractive.

Thank you for your considerations, Andrew.

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 05-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Andrew Farris

Roberto Ragusa wrote:

Can I reasonably expect binary compatibility for F8 packages
on F9? I hope gcc ABI didn't change drastically.

Honestly, I'm not sure how big an issue you will have with this.

I think I will try my luck next days; in the worst scenario I will
restore a full backup.
But I'm sadly using the nvidia binary driver on this machine
(Quadro FX 570M) and it looks like neither the binary nor the open
source drivers are an easy path for F9. If I don't find a
good solution for this, attempting the F9+KDE3 mess becomes
less attractive.

You can use the nvidia drivers with F9 if you run the F8 xorg packages; quite a
few people have been doing this with success throughout the F9 development.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:41 AM
Kevin Kofler

Andrew Farris <lordmorgul <at> gmail.com> writes:
> You can use the nvidia drivers with F9 if you run the F8 xorg packages; quite
> a few people have been doing this with success throughout the F9 development.

But if he's using F8 KDE and F8 X.Org X11, there's not much left of F9, is
there? I mean, what's the goal? Being able to say he's "running F9"?

IMHO it is a really bad idea to try to upgrade only parts of the distro, we
have done ABSOLUTELY ZERO testing of the KDE 3 packages from F8 with F9,
whoever attempts that may run into dependency problems and other issues.

Kevin Kofler

Old 05-21-2008, 08:19 AM
Roberto Ragusa

Kevin Kofler wrote:

Andrew Farris <lordmorgul <at> gmail.com> writes:

You can use the nvidia drivers with F9 if you run the F8 xorg packages; quite
a few people have been doing this with success throughout the F9 development.

But if he's using F8 KDE and F8 X.Org X11, there's not much left of F9, is
there? I mean, what's the goal? Being able to say he's "running F9"?

That is what I was thinking after realizing the Xorg issue.
What's left? gcc4.3, firefox3, the new Java...
Is it worth the effort? I'm skeptical too. :-)

IMHO it is a really bad idea to try to upgrade only parts of the distro, we
have done ABSOLUTELY ZERO testing of the KDE 3 packages from F8 with F9,
whoever attempts that may run into dependency problems and other issues.

The dependency problems are not too scary, because they will come up
in yum during the update phase (even if I see many libssl and libcrypto
issues).

The worst part would be submarine dependencies between (patched?) KDE3
and other parts (will removable disk mounting work in KDE3 in F9?
stuff like that).

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it