Old 05-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Martin Sourada

Default Epiphany/Midori + WebKit "Usage experiences"

Hi,

I am a happy epiphany user and as such I am concerned about it's
transition to WebKit backend. I noticed there is already, at least, one
web browser using WebKit in Fedora repos - Midori, so I installed it
(about a month ago) and when in need in fast access to web browser (I
use to save sessions in Ephy and there are lots of pages to load before
it's usable) I use Midori. Today I've built epiphany from svn with the
WebKit backend and decided to write short summary about it's usability.

First, a build issue. Where can I find m4 macro AM_CHECK_PYTHON_HEADERS?
Epiphany needs it, but it's not available in python-devel.

And now for the runtime

First let me say that on the contrary of it being svn snapshot it seems
so far pretty usable, IMHO more usable than ephy with XULRunner during
the pre F-9 transition...

Now some WebKit related issues I noticed both in Epiphany and Midori:

* fedoraforum.org displays white page (out of the tens, maybe hundreds
of pages I tried, this is the only one with the issue :-/)

* ftp protocol seems to be not fully implemented - it just prints some
sort of directory listing (without any formating) and that's all...

* the performance is sometimes sluggish, especially during page loading
the webbrowser freezes for a while, or is really slow

* traditional linux copy&paste (mouse select) is broken

* cannot log into websites with pop-up dialog boxes

* In epiphany, open in new tab option is missing

I'll probably start looking for/filling bugs upstream when I have enough
time to do so. If anyone experience these issues as well and is aware of
relevant bug #, let me know

Thanks,
Martin