Old 05-18-2008, 11:40 AM
"Nicolas Mailhot"

Default GNU Unifont update

Le Jeu 15 mai 2008 06:15, Qianqian Fang a écrit :

Hi,

> I think this will probably be interesting to the people in this list.
>
> With the blessing from Roman Czyborra, the former maintainer of
> GNU Unifont, Paul Hardy, a volunteer developer from CA, is now
> officially maintaining this widely used dual-width bitmap font.

> http://unifoundry.com/unifont.html
>
> It would be nice to see this extensively updated GNU Unifont
> pushed through all branches for Fedora. I will keep you posted
> or send Paul directly here to announce his release.

Does this mean the WQY fonts are deprecated now and should be replaced
with GNU unifont ? If that's the case you need to start a rename
procedure and modify the comps files of branches unifont will be
pushed to.

If that's not the case, and WQY and GNU Unifont fonts will exist in
parallel from now on, we need to find a packager for GNU unifont. I'd
say the current WQY packager is best placed to take unifont up

Nicolas Mailhot

Old 05-18-2008, 03:00 PM
"Nicolas Mailhot"

…

> The maintaining expense for both packages is not that much though.
> I would be glad to maintain GNU Unifont, or show Paul how to do that
> if he wants. The spec files for both packages can be almost identical.

That would probably best as I've still not found a motherlode of new
font packagers. Don't hesitate to ask on the list if you have any
problem!

Nicolas Mailhot

Old 07-02-2008, 07:46 AM
Jens Petersen

Hi Qianqian,

Sorry for the late reply. Just saw this now...

> The maintaining expense for both packages is not that much though.
> I would be glad to maintain GNU Unifont, or show Paul how to do that
> if he wants. The spec files for both packages can be almost identical.

Do you still want to do this?
It would be nice to have Unifont in Fedora.

Jens

Old 07-02-2008, 08:03 AM
"Nicolas Mailhot"

Le Mer 2 juillet 2008 09:46, Jens Petersen a écrit :

> Hi Qianqian,
>
> Sorry for the late reply. Just saw this now...
>
>> The maintaining expense for both packages is not that much though.
>> I would be glad to maintain GNU Unifont, or show Paul how to do that
>> if he wants. The spec files for both packages can be almost
>> identical.
>
> Do you still want to do this?
> It would be nice to have Unifont in Fedora.

Or more generaly to have more fonts in Fedora. It's been ages since
anyone but the usual suspects packaged a new font in Fedora (and a
fixed team does not scale)

--
Nicolas Mailhot

Old 07-02-2008, 08:59 AM
"Debarshi Ray"

>>> The maintaining expense for both packages is not that much though.
>>> I would be glad to maintain GNU Unifont, or show Paul how to do that
>>> if he wants. The spec files for both packages can be almost
>>> identical.
>>
>> Do you still want to do this?
>> It would be nice to have Unifont in Fedora.
>
> Or more generaly to have more fonts in Fedora. It's been ages since
> anyone but the usual suspects packaged a new font in Fedora (and a
> fixed team does not scale)

Is someone already doing this? If not, then I am interested. If yes,
then I can help with the review.

Happy hacking,
Debarshi

Old 07-02-2008, 11:14 AM
"Nicolas Mailhot"

Le Mer 2 juillet 2008 10:59, Debarshi Ray a écrit :

>>> Do you still want to do this?
>>> It would be nice to have Unifont in Fedora.
>>
>> Or more generaly to have more fonts in Fedora. It's been ages since
>> anyone but the usual suspects packaged a new font in Fedora (and a
>> fixed team does not scale)
>
> Is someone already doing this? If not, then I am interested. If yes,
> then I can help with the review.

There are lots of unclaimed fonts on
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Font_wishlist

If you have the time and interest please do not block on Unifont. Our
packaging wishlist has other elements.

Nicolas Mailhot