Old 05-17-2008, 04:54 PM
"Izhar Firdaus"

Default passwd does not work after f8 -> f9 upgrade

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 12:18 AM, Jarosław Górny <jaroslav@aster.pl> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've searched BZ, but not found anything similar.
> Couple of days ago I've upgraded to f9 with plain old "yum update". The
> process went smoothly, but now I'm not able to use passwd. Any try to change
> password (directly as a user, or as a root) fails:
>
> <code>
> [root@moonstone cracklib]# LANG=C passwd testowy
> Changing password for user testowy.
> New UNIX password:
> /usr/share/cracklib/pw_dict: error reading header
> PWOpen: Success
> </code>
>
> appropriate fragment of strace looks like this:
>
> <code>
> write(2, "New UNIX password: ", 19) = 19
> read(0, "lame_password
", 511) = 14
> ioctl(0, SNDCTL_TMR_STOP or TCSETSW, {B38400 opost isig icanon echo ...}) = 0
> write(2, "
", 1) = 1
> rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [], NULL, 8) = 0
> ioctl(0, SNDCTL_TMR_STOP or TCSETSW, {B38400 opost isig icanon echo ...}) = 0
> open("/usr/share/cracklib/pw_dict.pwd", O_RDONLY) = 4
> open("/usr/share/cracklib/pw_dict.pwi", O_RDONLY) = 5
> open("/usr/share/cracklib/pw_dict.hwm", O_RDONLY) = 6
> fstat64(5, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=0, ...}) = 0
> mmap2(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) =
> 0xb80d9000
> read(5, "", 4096) = 0
> write(2, "/usr/share/cracklib/pw_dict: err"..., 50) = 50
> close(5) = 0
> munmap(0xb80d9000, 4096) = 0
> close(4) = 0
> close(6) = 0
> write(2, "PWOpen: Success
", 16) = 16
> exit_group(-1) = ?
> </code>
>

> If this should be reported in BZ, I'll do it. Any tips to solve this really
> appreciated. Thanks,
>
> regards,

sounds like a broken file to me,

try:

rpm -V cracklib-dicts

and see whether theres any broken files from that package.

you may want to run package-cleanup --problems just in case somehow
happened missing dependencies ..

--
Mohd Izhar Firdaus Bin Ismail
Amano Hikaru

Old 05-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Jarosław Górny

Hi,

Saturday 17 of May 2008 18:54:57 Izhar Firdaus napisał(a):
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 12:18 AM, Jarosław Górny <jaroslav@aster.pl> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I've searched BZ, but not found anything similar.
> > Couple of days ago I've upgraded to f9 with plain old "yum update". The
> > process went smoothly, but now I'm not able to use passwd. Any try to
> > change password (directly as a user, or as a root) fails:

(...)

> sounds like a broken file to me,
>
> try:
>
> rpm -V cracklib-dicts

Yes, You're right. That was the case. Reinstalling cracklib-dicts solved this.

> you may want to run package-cleanup --problems just in case somehow
> happened missing dependencies ..

no, no dependency problems detected.
I wonder why this files were corrupted?
Anyway, thanks a lot!

regards,

--
jg

Old 05-18-2008, 03:27 AM
"Izhar Firdaus"

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 1:19 AM, Jarosław Górny <jaroslav@aster.pl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Saturday 17 of May 2008 18:54:57 Izhar Firdaus napisał(a):
>> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 12:18 AM, Jarosław Górny <jaroslav@aster.pl> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I've searched BZ, but not found anything similar.
>> > Couple of days ago I've upgraded to f9 with plain old "yum update". The
>> > process went smoothly, but now I'm not able to use passwd. Any try to
>> > change password (directly as a user, or as a root) fails:
>> >
> (...)
>
>> sounds like a broken file to me,
>>
>> try:
>>
>> rpm -V cracklib-dicts
>
> Yes, You're right. That was the case. Reinstalling cracklib-dicts solved this.
>

>> you may want to run package-cleanup --problems just in case somehow
>> happened missing dependencies ..
>>

> no, no dependency problems detected.
> I wonder why this files were corrupted?

No idea myself, broken packages happens several times a year with me
.. So i make it a habit to verify my installed RPMs before concluding
something is a bug ... I'm guessing it might be interrupted
transactions, harddisk problem, some other apps did modification and
break stuff (eg: the daily prelink) .. or ..a hidden bug somewhere in
rpm or yum which couldn't be easily reproduced ...

> Anyway, thanks a lot!

np